"All we know is a long time ago. The Circle led a revolt. A lot of Shadowhunters got killed, including my father." Alec nodded, continuing after Jace, "And since the revolt, we've been forbidden to even hear about the Circle."

"But there's gotta be someone out there who can tell us why they've taken my mother and why they want me."

"There is. You coming?" Sam and Clary glanced at each other before following Jace, Simon too was about to trail behind them when Jace turned around with a scowl on his face, "No, no, no. Not you."

Simon frowned about to protest when Jace brushed him off, "There are runes all over the training room floor that would kill your Mundie boyfriend." He explained, looking at the redhead.

"He's not my-" "I'm not, like-" Clary and Simon said at the same time, making the two blondes raise their eyebrows in amusement. It was clear to anyone who knew the two best friends that Simon was in love with the redhead though Clary never even noticed, which made Sam frown; how can someone not know that the person standing next to them is literally in love with them.

"We're, uh, just friends," Simon said with a hint of disappointment laced in his words, but it was completely ignored by the redhead who corrected him, "Best friends," Clary confirmed as Simon's smile fell for a second before composing himself.

"Yeah, and I'm tough. I can handle runes. So, uh, bring on the runes. What exactly are runes?"

"They give Shadowhunters our demon-fighting powers," Isabelle explained, walking up to the group with a smile on her face as she activated the angelic rune with her stele showing her arm to them.

Simon's eyes widened, not taking them off of Isabelle, "So hot." He commented, totally fascinated by the rune or Isabelle. Jace cleared his throat, Simon scrambled to correct himself, "The rune."

"Who is that guy?" Sam asked after Jace made them follow him to a training room. A man in his mid-thirties was dueling with a much younger woman. The older man had so much grace and poise when moving through the duel, which made Sam assume that he's probably been training all his life. 

"That's Hodge Starkweather, our weapons trainer. And, more important for us, a former Circle member. After the uprising, Hodge repented, and he was sent to live and work here to make amends. But he's forbidden to ever leave the Institute."

Once the duel finished with Hodge as the winner, the trio approached him, his eyes fixed on Sam, "By the angel! You look just like her." He remarked, not taking his eyes off of the blonde.

"You mean Jocelyn Fray?" Sam asked, feeling weird at the man who was gauging her out.

"Well, she was Jocelyn Fairchild when I knew her. And she was one of my best friends."

"She's been kidnapped by someone named Valentine. " Sam explained as Jace nodded, "By the Circle, Hodge."

Hodge shook his head in denial, "But that's impossible." He said, "Valentine's dead, and the Circle died with him."

The Circle mark on Hodge's neck started to burn. He winced in pain, Sam's eyes widened, turning to Jace, "What is happening to him?" 

Hodge groaned in agony, his breath coming out labored as he answered, "I swore a vow never to speak of what we did. This is the Clave's way of making sure I keep that vow."

"We can't torture him, Jace. Is there anyone else we can ask?" Sam inquired, looking at Jace, who shook his head, his own eyes softening at Hodge, who had to endure this suffering for his past sins.

"If the Circle really is back and they've taken Jocelyn...." He shook his head, the rune on his neck burning him, "Our leader.. our leader of the Circle was Valentine Morgenstern-"