1

It's been too long, she thought, well maybe not that long since she was only gone for a year minus the holidays, of course, but that's what anyone who decides they want to go to university does

Majoring in Psychology was always Sam's dream when she was young, she was always fascinated by the human mind and deep emotions that the average human can go through for the course of their lives, she felt lucky that out of most of her classmates in school, she knew what she wanted to do for the rest of her life always mission focused on that.

On her eighteenth birthday, though, her mother dropped a bomb on her. She told her about a world she thought could only be but a fiction, she told her about the werewolves that were slaves to the moon, turning on every full moon to their wolves form, about the vampires who called themselves the night children cursed to never feel the sunlight on their skin ever again, about the warlocks, that fancied themselves the only magic doers, about the Seelies, the fiercest truth-telling warriors.

And of course, she never forgot to tell her about the Shadowhunters, the law enforcement of the Shadow world like her mother likes to call it, the half-angel half-human, the people who prided themselves to be the descendants of pure beings whose job was to preserve the peace, to protect the mundanes from this world and to of course hunt demons.

At first, Sam had thought that this must be some type of a joke or a prank her mother was pulling on her, and who could blame her? It was a lot to take in at the time, she refused to believe it for a while, thinking that must be one of her mother's way to convince her to stay in Brooklyn with her instead of going to college, but it was all thrown out of the window when her mother showed her the runes on her body. When Luke transformed into a wolf, she knew that everything her mother told her was nothing but the truth.

Although knowing about what lurks in the dark and the strange, dangerous world out there, knowing that her fate was to be a Shadowhunter, Sam refused to let that stop her from pursuing her dreams to be a psychologist, so there she was after her second year at college, she returned home in time for Clary's birthday.

She hummed a melody that was stuck in her head as she ascended the stairs that led to her mother's apartment. Her blonde hair was let down, cascading on her back, tickling her neck. While holding onto her suitcase, she put her hand in her pocket, pulling out the apartment's key, twisting it in the keyhole. The blonde heard the door click walking into the apartment.

Sam set her suitcase by the side of the door, throwing the keys back into her pocket. The smell of freshly baked cookies hung in the air, wrapping the blonde in a nostalgic memory, "Mom!" She called out, walking further into the apartment.

Jocelyn walked out of the kitchen dumbfound, but as soon as her eyes fell on her daughter, a big smile broke on her face as she approached the blonde, pulling her into a tight hug, "You're here," She said, pulling away looking at her daughter with fondness that only mothers can have.