Chapter 13- The Sleep Over

Something hits me in the face, startling me awake. I jumped to my feet, swayed a bit nearly falling over a coffee table. I heard a stifled yelp come from somewhere in the dim room. I can make out shapes from the street lamps that are on outside streaming in from the bay window, but my brain isn't firing on all cylinders yet.

"I'm so sorry," Brynn said and then it clicks. Byrnn. I'm sleeping over Brynn's. I steadied myself and squinted in the darkness.

"Are you okay?" she asked her voice full of concern.

"Yeah. Are you?"

"I need to go to the bathroom. I tried to get up on my own but I'm too stiff from sitting so long. You are a REALLY sound sleeper."

"What? Why would you say that?" I wanted to know as I made my way to her in the dark room.

"I called your name several times trying to wake you but you didn't move a muscle. I'm sorry I startled you. I figured it was just my pillow but I didn't expect such a big reaction."

I chuckled a little. "You scared the crap out of me. Then I was disoriented, wondering where the hell I was."

Brynn giggled. "Thought you'd been kidnapped?"

"I didn't know what I thought. In fact, that was the problem, I couldn't think," I said as I finally reach her. I turned on the lamp side table and switch on the light. We both squinted from the brightness.

"Okay, let's get you up. How do you want to do this?" I asked not sure how to proceed.

"Just give me your arms," Brynn said but put her own arms out like a forklift to demonstrate what she wanted me to do. I copied her and she grabbed hold of my arms and pulled herself up from the chair with just a little bit of help from me. I saw her wince in pain and can't help but wince with her.

"You okay?"

"Yeah. Just give me a second."

"You know, I'm a lot stronger than I look. You don't have to strain so much. I can be more of a help."

Brynn smiles at me. "I know. I just need to go slowly. It's better if I do it. If you pulled me up it would have hurt a lot more."

"Oh." I didn't know that. I guess Brynn does as she volunteers at the hospital during the summer months and has probably learned all this on the job.

"Okay. I'm good," she said taking my arm and I walked with her to the bathroom. Walking with her like this reminded me of walking with my grandmother. Brynn's movements are so slow and deliberate; it makes my heart break a little knowing she must be in so much pain.

We get to the bathroom and she let go.

"I'm guessing you've got this from here?" I asked not certain just how much help I'm supposed to be.

Brynn grinned. "Uh yeah. I know you want to get to know me but there are some things that should stay a mystery in a relationship. I definitely don't want to pee in front you."

I laughed. "Okay. I'll be right outside the door, should you need me?"

"Thanks," Brynn said as she stepped inside and shut the door.

After a few minutes, I heard the flush of the toilet but I also heard, a stifled groan. My hand paused on the doorknob. "Byrnn, are you alright?"

"I'm good." I could hear the water running as she washed her hands.

I sighed and wait and the door opened. "Success!" she announced and took my arm again. I led her back to the chair.

Once she was settled again I asked, "You need anything else?"