Chapter 5

ACCEPT

ACCEPT

277 AC

Stormlands – Kingsroad

Their wheelhouse lurched forward, sending the sleeping Shiera flying into her mother's arms.

"Careful!" Alyse grunted, helping her daughter back to her seat. She smoothed out her dress when she had done so and sent Shiera a disapproving look.

They were sharing a wheelhouse with the quiet Queen, Rhaella, and she turned her head to the exchange, seemingly unbothered by it. Sheria, her mother and brothers, along with the Targaryen party were a few days into their travels to Kingslanding. The King, Aerys, having accepted Sheria and her family to court, not yet betrothed but testing out how Rhaegar and her got along ... Drazenko had an inkling that the King had wanted to trace their ancestry though. He wouldn't find anything other than the obvious fact that they were related.

"Sorry mother," Shiera whispered, squirming around in her seat. She could swear on all the goddesses of beauty that they had been sitting for hours and hoped their holt would be to rest for the night.

She opened the slide on the wheelhouse window, peaking through it discreetly. Beside her, the horse of a guard shook its head and huffed, the lack of movement upsetting it.

"We're probably stopping for the night," Rhaella sighed, pressing her thumbs together patiently. She had travelled from Kingslanding with the company of her ladies-in-waiting, but they were now seated in a different wheelhouse. The three occupying the current one had passed through small games and small talk so there was naught to do but sleep and gaze out of the windows.

Shiera nodded back to her turning her eyes to her mother who gave her a reassuring look. There was a knock from beside them, Sheria looked back out of the window. It was Valaar, propped on his new stead. "Are you alright?" he asked, ever the fretting brother.

"Yes, thank you, dear," Alyse told her son, leaning forward to slide the window close. She had just about enough of her son's infatuation with Shiera and refused to let it show in front of the woman who was to judge whether or not her daughter was to wed a Prince.

The door to the wheelhouse opened and the three were helped from their seats, down the steps and onto the leafy floor beneath them. Shiera noticed that many had already unhorsed and were preparing to set up tents. She stretched her arms over her head, wanting badly to stretch her legs as well – but had been scolded by her mother the first time she had done so in front of the royal family. Apparently being human was out of the question when one was marrying a Prince.

Her tent, which she shared with her mother, had been set up, with two beds hastily outstretched and made. Sheria sighed, finally free of the constraints of the eyes of those who would watch her every move. She sat on the floor, wrapped her hands around her right ankle and stretched. They had two sennight's of this left – riding, resting, riding – she didn't know if she could take anymore.