Chapter 7

BURNING

BURNING

277 AC

Kingslanding

The smell of singed hair and burning wood. Sounds of screams and an air of terror. Chains above her rang and three monstrous beasts appeared from the red sky. 

Sheira woke with a start. Her hand landed on her mother's lap, though the older woman as fast asleep to notice. 

"Is everything alright?" Rhaella, who had invited them into her wheelhouse for the last leg of the trip, asked the young girl. 

Sheria placed her hand back onto her lap. "Just a bad dream," she paused, contemplating whether or not to tell the Queen. "Of a burning village." 

"Hmm," Rhaella nodded, gazing out of the window. They were surrounded by her Kingsguards this time, rather than Sheira's brothers and Rhaegar. "Don't let Rhaegar toy with your mind as he toys with his own. Us Targaryen's are always having to prove our sanity." 

Sheira bit the bottom of her lip, "I'm not a Targaryen." 

Rhaella smiled half-heartedly. "No .. . you aren't." 

They shared a frankly confusing gaze for a moment, before Rhaella returned to her window. Shiera looked out of her own, though everything was moving backwards as she sat with her back against the direction they were going. She looked away, feeling dizzy. 

"How are you liking him so far?" Rhaella asked. 

"Your grace?" 

"Come now little fish. You know who I mean." Shiera blushed at her words. Little fish. "You must know to be more careful. Besides, you never did go back for your shoes." Rhaella's eyes flickered for a moment towards Shiera's shoes. They had gone from the original brown to the bright blue ones that she had worn when meeting Rhaegar for the first time at the home of the Baratheon's. 

"I apologise-," 

"For what? Kissing," Rhaella raised a brow, "please, get all the excitement out of it while you can." 

Sheira didn't know what to say. "I like him very much. He is kind, and gentle." 

"And do you think you can make him merciless and worthy of the crown?" 

Sheira didn't respond. Her illusion of marrying Rhaegar had been nothing but sweetness. She knew what the Queen meant. 

Rhaella looked towards the floor of the wheelhouse, "it is nice for you to be happy Sheira. But my son is a dreamer. I need to ensure the woman he marries won't let him continue his crazed lust for our ended traditions of dragons. He has people to govern. Wars to end," she huffed, "it's my fault for allowing him to read so much. We should've put a sword in his hand as quickly as we could."