Chapter 2

WINDPROUD

WINDPROUD

277 AC

Free Cities – Lys

Shiera woke to the sound of her maid and companion. Melisya, clearing out her room. She had gone through the entire room, top to bottom. Draws were left open and empty, even meagre objects like flower vases and bowls that Shiera had decorated her room with were gone.

She rubbed the sleep from her eyes and drew the heavy sheets over her head. "I wake from dreams to a nightmare!" She groaned, letting out a frustrated sigh.

Melisya smiled at the girl and shook her head. "Please be grateful, you're marrying a Prince! The Prince of the Seven Kingdoms no less." Melisya reminded her.

Shiera drew the sheets from her head and looked at Melisya's silver chain, biting her lip as she cursed herself for complaining around a slave no less. "You're right, at least Drazenko won't be around to-,"

"To what?" The dreaded voice of her older brother came from the open door. Melisya stopped her movements and bowed her head. He entered the room, closed the oak door behind him and circled around the young slave. "Considering your current state of unwillingness, I enlisted Melisya to pack for you and she's done a wonderful job."

Shiera glared at his back, wondering just what he had done with or worse yet to her maid. "I'll change and meet you outside." She said, wanting him out of her room.

Drazenko rolled his eyes, nearing the slave that had turned to stone at his entrance. "I don't care what you do, as long as you make it to Valaar's ship by the time it's sailing." He said, giving his sister a careless look. He pulled one single silver key from under his sleeve. "For my best girl," he smiled wickedly and turned Melisya around forcefully. "Take care of the pleasure house for me. I think we both know the consequences of failure," Drazenko whispered to her, placing the key in the chain around her neck and unlocking it, it fell to the floor with a loud clank.

Melisya sighed a sigh of relief, rubbing her neck, she nodded her head profusely. "Of course, master."

Drazenko gave her a pointed look and kicked the chain to the side. "You're free now, just like the others in the house. Congratulations."

Shiera scoffed from her bed silently and got off of it, moving quickly to the washroom. "Congratulations," her voice mimicking her brothers. "Using free slaves, oh brother you are smart indeed," she muttered washing her face quickly. She waited to hear the door of her room close, indicating her brother's departure, before she went back to the main bedroom. For what she knew was to be the last time, Melisya helped her get ready. Sliding the dress over her head, brushing her hair, and helping Shiera tie her complicated boots around her feet. She was going on a ship, it would be stupid to wear anything but boots.