Chapter 43: The Imposter

Start from the beginning

"Put down your knife and I might consider letting them live." Arthas proposed.

"Oh, I'm sure you wouldn't. I mean, look at you." My eyes focused on the wall behind Derik, the stones unstable and cracked by the explosion. "All angry and everything. I have felt your hatred. I know all too well what you would do, Arthas, because I would probably kill them too if I were you. We are driven by our emotions like that."

"So now what?" Arthas growled. "We keep standing here? Waiting for you to slice your own throat or till one of us makes a wrong move?" He angrily slammed his fist on the table, making some of the tableware fall down on the ground with a loud crash as the wood groaned and split in two. "Don't be stupid!" Yelling, his voice turned into the same loud growl. "Your precious jedi were dead the moment they sat foot on this planet and you know it."

"No." I narrowed my eyes in determination, focusing on Derik as he nervously glanced between his master and me. The same power erupted inside of me, filling me with pride and confidence, feeling like I had a whole army at my back. "You were dead the moment you tried to kill them."

"Who do you think you are." Arthas dragged out each syllable menacingly, making the room vibrate with his voice. He was still trying to scare me but given the fact that I was going to die either way, it had little effect.

"Oh, you know, I'm merely the most accomplished doctor of the planet, daughter of a legend, a phoenix with anger management issues and queen of Valeria." I shrugged but remained deeply concentrated on the man before me. "But you, you're a complete idiot. Dumb enough to kidnap me and piss me off in the process." As I spoke the last few words my voice slowed and the fire started to engulf every part of me, slowly transforming. "If you ask me, not the best strategy."

"Okay, that's enough." Arthas stretched out his arm, making dark, misty tendrils appear from the ground beneath me that tried to grasp my limbs and hold me in place. Yet al they did was go right through them, flowing through the fire.

"Interesting." Looking down at the tendrils momentarily I smirked before dashing forward, colliding with Derik with an enormous force and pushing him through the wall which broke instantly. We fell out of the building with debris all around us as I grasped his shirt tightly in one hand, hitting him over and over again as we fell through the air and through another ceiling.

Derik was shouting loudly, trying to hit me back but all he managed was to burn himself as he tried. "You took everything from me!" I yelled in anger and continuously hit him before we broke through multiple layers of stone and rooms, hitting the ground of the basement about 6 storeys down with a loud crash as the burning wood fell right next to us.

Luckily for Derik, I was thrown off of him, rolling over the ground till I regained my balance and quickly stood back up, glaring at his figure as he struggled to do the same. "You should know, this wasn't personal." He coughed loudly as he swayed from side to side, struggling keep standing.

"You killed my adoptive father, freed the most dangerous criminal in Valerian history and so killed hundreds of people and then you kidnapped me from my own home. Of course this is personal!" I hit him in the face, hard, making him fall back to the ground again. "You betrayed the only person that ever even cared about you, and for what?! A seat to watch the world burn?!"

"Oh please, you can't tell me you hate Eric too!" Derik yelled back in frustration as he lifted his arms in surrender, making me halt my next assault mid-air. "He killed your father, so if anything, you ought to be grateful to me for avenging him." He hissed the last few words as his back hit the wall behind him. His eyes darted between my flaming appearance and the hole in the ceiling, hoping to see some form of rescue coming his way.