In the second week of December Professor McGonagall camearound as usual, collecting names of those who would be staying atschool for Christmas. Harry,Me, Ron, and Hermione signed her list; We had heard Draco was staying, which struck them as verysuspicious. The holidays would be the perfect time to use thePolyjuice Potion and try to worm a confession out of him. Even after me proving to them he wasn't there at the time. 

Unfortunately, the potion was only half finished. We still needed the bicorn horn and the boomslang skin, and the onlyplace we were going to get them was from Snape's private stores. I privately felt he'd rather face Slytherin's legendary monsterthan let Snape catch him robbing his office."What we need," said Hermione briskly as Thursday afternoon'sdouble Potions lesson loomed nearer, "is a diversion. Then one ofus can sneak into Snape's office and take what we need."Harry and Ron looked at her nervously."I think Emma'd better do the actual stealing," Hermione continuedin a matter-of-fact tone. "You two will be expelled if you get intoany more trouble, and I've got a clean record. So all you need todo is cause enough mayhem to keep Snape busy for five minutesor so."Harry smiled feebly. 

Deliberately causing mayhem in Snape'sPotions class was about as safe as poking a sleeping dragon in theeye.Potions lessons took place in one of the large dungeons. Thursday afternoon's lesson proceeded in the usual way. Twenty cauldrons stood steaming between the wooden desks, on which stoodbrass scales and jars of ingredients. Snape prowled through thefumes, making waspish remarks about the Gryffindors' work whilethe Slytherins sniggered appreciatively. 

Hermione caught Harry's eye and nodded.

 Harry ducked swiftly down behind his cauldron, pulled oneof Fred's Filibuster fireworks out of his pocket, and gave it aquick prod with his wand. The firework began to fizz and sputter.Knowing he had only seconds, Harry straightened up, took aim,and lobbed it into the air; it landed right on target in Goyle'scauldron.Goyle's potion exploded, showering the whole class. Peopleshrieked as splashes of the Swelling Solution hit them. Draco gota faceful and his nose began to swell like a balloon; Goyle blundered around, his hands over his eyes, which had expanded to thesize of a dinner plate — Snape was trying to restore calm and findout what had happened. Through the confusion, I slipped into his office. 

I scanned every bottle. "Bicorn horn..Boomslang..." I found what I needed and rushed out, my robes buldging. Snape swept over to Goyle's cauldron andscooped out the twisted black remains of the firework. There was asudden hush. "If I ever find out who threw this," Snape whispered, "I shallmake sure that person is expelled." 

 "He knew it was me," Harry toldMe, Ron and Hermione as theyhurried back to Moaning Myrtle's bathroom. "I could tell." I threw the new ingredients into the cauldron and began to stir feverishly."It'll be ready in two weeks," I said happily."Snape can't prove it was you," said Ron reassuringly to Harry."What can he do?""Knowing Snape, something foul," said Harry as the potionfrothed and bubbled. 

A week later, Me,Harry, Ron, and Hermione were walking across theentrance hall when we saw a small knot of people gatheredaround the notice board, reading a piece of parchment that hadjust been pinned up. Seamus Finnigan and Dean Thomas beckoned us over, looking excited."They're starting a Dueling Club!" said Seamus. "First meetingtonight! I wouldn't mind dueling lessons; they might come inhandy one of these days. . . .""What, you reckon Slytherin's monster can duel?" said Ron, buthe, too, read the sign with interest."Could be useful," he said toMe, Harry and Hermione as we wentinto dinner. "Shall we go?"Harry and Hermione were all for it, I was too. so at eight o'clock that evening we hurried back to the Great Hall. The long dining tableshad vanished and a golden stage had appeared along one wall, lit bythousands of candles floating overhead. The ceiling was velvetyblack once more and most of the school seemed to be packed beneath it, all carrying their wands and looking excited."I wonder who'll be teaching us?" said Hermione as we edgedinto the chattering crowd. "Someone told me Flitwick was a dueling champion when he was young — maybe it'll be him.""As long as it's not —" Harry began, but he ended on a groan:Gilderoy Lockhart was walking onto the stage, resplendent in robesof deep plum and accompanied by none other than Snape, wearinghis usual black.Oh, god.