thirty

Headline: Speculations on Kim-Jeon Chase

I'm in front of Jungkook's door, frozen stiff. Mira's beside me, looking positively exhausted - I don't blame her. My fist rises to the door and I take a hesitant knock. It's timid and soft, so I try again more firmly. There's rustling and chatter before the door opens. I instinctively take a step back but it's Taehyung. His eyes soften when he sees Mira.

"Can you get Jungkook out, please?" I ask quietly. Taehyung looks at Mira who's handing me the keys to the car. Mira nods and Taehyung slips back into the room.

There's sounds of protest but when Jungkook appears (in the same clothes I left him in), he grows silent. His face is calculated, every muscle twitch is considered. He's very painfully not comfortable. I want the ground to swallow me up.

"Can we talk?" I ask even more softly. But it's so silent that he catches it. Taehyung invites Mira in and closes the door behind us as Jungkook and I head to the elevator wordlessly.

***

We take a secret back exit to the car to avoid press and spectators. By the time I've entered the driver's seat, Jungkook's already buckling up.

He still hasn't said anything.

How does one start a conversation with someone they just fled from?

"Where are you taking me?" he asks dryly. I gulp as I buckle up. I guess that works as a conversation-starter.

I don't reply since I truly do not know either. The car takes off in a low hum and I prep myself to start speaking.

3, 2, 1-

"I'm sorry," I say clearly, eyes trained on the road. I can feel him turn towards me.

"What do you want from this relationship?" he asks.

"I want this to be a serious one," I say, close to combusting.

"Then why'd you run away?" he challenges. I lick my lips nervously.

"I was still scared about my past relationship. It was a long time ago, but it stuck," I say.

"Was or are?"

"I was. I'm not anymore," I say hesitantly.

"You're still not over it," he states flatly. If I were alone in this car, I'd drive myself into a lake from embarrassment.

"I took a psychology major. You're not over that dude," he says bitterly, turning to face the front.

"I'm over him. I'm just not over with what he did," I clench my jaw in defense.

"What'd he even d-"

"He cheated on me. And I knew. And I kept going through with it because I just hated the idea of being alone. So I built this whole company to keep myself occupied from being too lonely and it worked - for a while. At least until you came along," I try to stop my voice from raising or breaking.

"He cheated on you," his voice turns darker. My grip on the steering wheel tightens.

"Yeah," I say matter-of-factly. It feels like peeling my heart's layers and letting Jungkook examine every piece.

"You deserve better," he says softly.

"I know," I reply instantly. He chuckles at that. And God does that do embarrassing things to my heart.

The next five minutes melts into comfortable silence before I roll up beside the Eiffel Tower.

"Cliche," he remarks.

"I don't know how to get anywhere else here," I say as I lean back and look out the window at it. His eyes are on me instead. I force myself to look at him.

And suddenly everything is so much easier.

It's not a grand full feeling of love and dizziness. It's the heart-stopping feeling of simplicity, the small melody playing out into something bigger - it's Jungkook. Everything is so much simpler.

And I'm unsure of where to start.

"I don't want to rush you into this," he says. I nod.

"I know," I say softly.

"But I don't know what you want from this," he says and I nod again.

"I want to be with you," I say. It's the most cringe-worthy confession but it gets my point across. His eyes widen slightly.

"I need you to know that I'll always be here for you," he continues. I can't help but smile slightly and damn, my eyes are watering again.

"I know," my voice breaks. His warm hands cover mine and I think I might die in peace.

"I love you."

The words fall out of my mouth carelessly - except they weren't careless. I'd be unconsciously mumbling those very words every time I looked at Jungkook. I'm glad he finally knows.

"I love you too," he says, breaking out into the most giddy grin.

And sue me, because I confessed in Paris in the most cliche, romantic and cheesy way.

Sue me because I ended up in love with my best friend (who was not Mira).

Sue me because I am with Jeon Jungkook.