twenty-seven

Headline: Top 3 Things to be Discussed in the Business Summit

I'm slumped against the table, praying the staff understand me. It's barely seven and we're already being briefed. Eventually, they move us to tables where I rest my head on my arms. Jungkook glances at me before sliding over a water bottle which I gladly drink from.

"Ready?" Jungkook faces me and I nod tiredly before pushing myself up.

"Alright, Miss Kim could you move closer to Mr Jeon? Our cameras would be able to catch you better," the whole ringmaster of this event gestures at me and I scoot closer to Jungkook. My whole arm is pressed against his.

"Okay, let's do a sound test," he says. Jungkook taps the microphone hesitantly.

"Testing, testing," his voice rings through the room. I do the same. And with that, the rehearsal is in full swing.

***

It's roughly 9am when there is some form of break. Jungkook and I are occasionally split up for different reasons - all too much to remember. As the staff starts to disperse for their lunch, I'm still standing awkwardly beside a girl who seems about as young as me and she's pretty much reading off a script to brief me.

She's emulating bad vibes. Bad in the sense that she looks like she doesn't like me. That's an understatement. I'm about to yawn again when a warm arm slips around my shoulders. I look up in surprise.

"Breakfast?" Jungkook offers. I clasp a hand over his that's dangling over my right shoulder.

"You know what, yes," and then to the girl, "Thank you so much."

I pivot us to start walking away and Jungkook laughs. I let go off his hand in embarrassment.

"What was her whole briefing about?" he asks.

"God knows," I reply.

"Wanna get breakfast in a cafe elsewhere?" he asks as he grabs our coats.

"How long do we get for this?"

"About an hour. When we get back it's hair and makeup," he says, holding my coat out for me.

I take it.

"Okay, sure."

***

"This is stunning," I gasp as I exit the car. Jungkook's hands are tucked in his pockets and he grins proudly.

"I know."

The shop is quaint, hidden from the public eye. It's bronze and vintage, the decor simple and elegant. It looks like a drawing from some book. Jungkook swings his arm and his hand catches mine before slightly pulling me inside.

When we sit, he's smiling and shaking his leg (out of habit, I suppose). I laugh.

"What?"

"I don't know," he confesses truthfully.

"Wait, here, let's take a picture," he says, pulling his phone out. He directs the camera at me and I smile as well as I know how.

"Why just one of me?" I pout as he looks over the picture.

"You can take one of me too," he suggests teasingly. I roll my eyes but still point my camera at him. His grin widens and I'm certain that I won't need a picture to remember this moment.

"You set it as your wallpaper and I'll do the same," he says excitedly. I gasp in mock shock.

"How scandalous, Mr Jeon," I declare haughtily.

"Two really hot CEOs in love. It's the magic of Paris," he says grandly, leaning back against his chair to watch my reaction. And what a reaction I have. I can feel my face heating up like a match that didn't want to be lit.

I kick his leg under the table.

"One hot CEO. Not two," I roll my eyes. He gasps before pausing.

"Oh, you are right. It's just me. Sorry, math isn't my strongest suit," he smiles sweetly and I'm about to argue back when the waitress comes. She nearly drops our plates when she sees Jungkook. She hastily puts the plates down before taking a full bow. I want to laugh in disbelief.

"Mr Jeon," she greets him like she works for him. Jungkook's smile turns insincere and he nods in acknowledgement.

"Can we get a picture?" she asks. But Jungkook doesn't have much of a choice - she's already got her phone out. Jungkook's eyes flit to mine and I nod slightly, like I'm giving him permission. She takes a few pictures before bowing again.

"I'm a huge fan. Please let me know if you need anything," she says, breathlessly, and seems reluctant to leave. When she does, I snort. Jungkook's eyes widened in surprise.

"A big fan? What does she do? Read JC's terms and conditions?" I scoff a little bitterly before straightening my plate in front of me. I can see his smile widen and I glare at him.

"What?" My question comes out irritated.

"Oh, nothing," his smile sweetens even more as he rests his chin on his intertwined fingers. I stab at my pancakes more aggressively than I'd intended to. I can sense him about to comment on it so I drop my cutlery down and look at him in the eyes.

"I'm not irritated by the fact that she's a fan," I pause, hoping he'll take it as a dramatic pause when in fact I just don't know where I'm going with this sentence, "I'm just annoyed by her lack of professionalism."

"Mmhm," is all he replies with. He's beaming like he, and only he, knows the biggest secret on Earth.

"You can say your remark," I say bluntly.

"Well, if you insist," he sighs dramatically and I roll my eyes.

"I can't notice that you seem rather, hmm, what's the word?" his fingers trace the rim of his glass of water like he's thinking about the universe's deepest mysteries when I know it's just for the effect.

"Jealous?" The word is short and not-very sweet. I frown and look down at my food.

"I disagree," I mutter before starting to eat. Jungkook lightly nudges my foot to get my attention and I look up. I nod at him as a sort of "what?".

He flips his phone around and his screen lights up. And I'm looking back at myself. I crinkle my nose.

"I look so bad," I mumble as I look away.

"No, you don't," he smiles sadly before staring at his screen a little longer and shutting it off.

"Do you want to get coffee after this?" he asks and my eyes light up.

"Yes, please," I nod enthusiastically.

***

"Thank you," Jungkook takes the coffees from the waiter at the drive-thru and passes them to me as he drives out of the place. I instantly start drinking mine and sigh in happiness.

"Who needs love when you have coffee?" I say deeply and Jungkook lets out a hurt gasp. I laugh.

"I love you too." It comes out jokingly but it hops on my heart a few times. He pouts before holding his hand out, his arm resting against the partition between us. I hesitantly place mine in his and he interlocks our fingers.

"What a romantic," I drawl and he smiles lopsidedly.

"I do what I can to keep my lover satisfied," he says with no effort. I think I nearly spit my coffee.