twenty-eight

Headline: Paris Summit a Success: Here's Everything You Need to Know

"Are we good to go?" Jungkook asks as he adjusts his suit. I stop pacing and nod.

"We can do this," he flashes a quick smile and I return it. A staff member rushes up to us.

"You're good to go," he gestures to us as we walk on stage.

The guests quieten down and Jungkook lightly taps on the microphone.

And we are off.

***

"Thank you for coming and enjoy the rest of your stay," I finish the night off with a charming smile. There's a smattering applause before everyone leaves the ballroom. I slump against Jungkook.

"That was fun," I say and he agrees. Mira and Taehyung approach us quickly through the crowd.

"Y'all did really well," Mira gushes and I smile slightly.

"I'm exhausted," I groan.

"Do you and Jungkook want room service?" she asks worriedly. I glance at Jungkook who nods tiredly.

"Sure, sure. Is it okay if I go with Taehyung for dinner?" she asks and I nod.

"Of course! Have fun!" I give her a quick hug before Jungkook and I walk out.

He slings his arm around my shoulder and I clasp his hand with my right one.

"Movie night?" he offers and I nod instantly.

"That sounds incredible."

***

"Quick! You're going to miss the starting!" I yell as Jungkook scrambles to close the door.

"You started the movie so early!" he whines as he throws himself onto the couch next to me. I'm slowly eating my rice when Jungkook's phone comes into view.

"Smile," he cooes and I grin. There's a click as he takes his selfie.

"Can't wait for the next scandal," I say sarcastically. He huffs in indignance.

"Let's announce our relationship before anyone else gets to," he says confidently. For a second I think he's kidding.

"Really?"

"If you want to," he replies, eyes trained on the TV. I look at him and sue me because I think I'm about to swoon. What were the odds of falling in love with him?

"I can feel you looking at me," he grins teasingly as he turns to face me.

I just stare back wordlessly at him and suddenly my heart does that irritating thing where it takes a step back. I can feel my heart slowly come to as Jungkook's eyes soften.

"What's wrong?" he asks nervously. My mouth opens a little as I remember high school. Clearly, I have not recovered. Unfortunately, I'm only realising that now. I slowly scoot further away from him and slowly get up on my feet. He rises with me, brows furrowed.

"I-" my palm is already towards him as he advances towards me. My hands scramble to tie my hair up as I back up even more.

"I need some time," I trail off as I hurriedly leave the room. My heart is ringing throughout my body and I cannot find where it is - I cannot stop it. I can feel myself tearing up and it's like being forced to swallow a pill that I know I cannot. It's like crossing a small bridge that you know you can cross but just can't.

It's like loving Jungkook but being afraid of commitment.

I hear the door open at the end of the hallway where my room is and my legs take off. I'm running down the hall and making a dash into the elevator that's at my level. I realise - to my horror - that I'm in my pajamas. It's long pants and sleeves and I look insane.

The moment the lift doors open I'm briskly heading for the exit. Heads are turning and I hear whispers of all languages. It's mortifying. I keep my head low and my feet keep moving and they carry me to the taxi services. I quickly exit the main door as the lift dings behind me.

"Hana!"

I wince and take into a full run as I duck into a taxi.

"Please go," I hurriedly say as I lock the car door. Jungkook's running faster and faster and I want to cry at this scene.

"Where to, madame?" the taxi driver looks confused.

"Anywhere! Just go!" I nearly shout and he looks frustrated. Still, he takes off. Jungkook is still running after the taxi and I'm about to drive the damn thing myself. It's a few painful minutes before we finally lose him. I fully sink into the seat of the taxi as the driver glares at me through the window.

My face pales as I realise I have no money. I hesitantly take my phone out and quickly call Mira as the driver starts heading towards the Eiffel Tower.

I'm about to shout and scream that I'm not going to a hotspot in pajamas but Mira picks up.

"Hello?"

"Mira? I need help," I cut to the chase.

"What's wrong? Are you crying?"

"No, just- can you meet me somewhere now?"

"In the hote-"

"No, the restaurant that you're at now. Please give me the address," I hurriedly say. This whole conversation plays out in Korean in the hopes that the driver doesn't realise that I don't have money and pulls over.

"Okay, of course," Mira scrambles.

I quickly give the address to the driver before returning to the call.

"I'm so sorry I interrupted the date," I say in exasperation.

"What? Oh no, it's fine, we just finished anyways. Taehyung's going to get the check," Mira assures me. I gulp.

"I'm so sorry but I left the hotel without money. Please tell me you have enough money for my trip and for this driver's silence," I say.

"Of course," Mira instantly says.

"I don't really care about the money or whatnot. What happened?" she asks quietly. My mind flashbacks to Jungkook's face and his question keeps echoing in my head. I let out an involuntary cry.

"Mira, I just want to go back to Korea," I manage to get out.

"Don't worry. We'll talk when you arrive. Are you almost here?"