CHAPTER ELEVEN

(PRESENT TIME)

“Here’s the receipt. Thank you for shopping. Have a nice night.”  she cheerfully said as she greets her last customer, marking the end of her shift. She’s been working non-stop since last night. This is one of those days when her night shift in the coffee shop and her day shift in the supermarket overlaps. (Perks of having multiple part time jobs, right?). Normally, she cursed this kind of days, but now, she’s definitely thankful. Because of it, she was able to keep herself busy and not think about anything. Not think about the fact that Dee was actually in front her… that she was no longer a dream… no longer a distant memory…

But even though she felt happy and hopeful for a few seconds upon seeing her, the feeling of regret, guilt, and remorse came flooding back. She doesn’t deserve this. She doesn’t deserve her. Not after what she has done 10 years ago. Seeing Dee, was just a painful reminder of a life and a future that can never happen…

*******************************

Marge walked briskly. She wants to get home soon, so she can finally rest and sleep. Her legs, her back, her whole body hurts. She doesn’t know what will happen once she arrive at her unit, she’s hoping George won’t ask to much about what happened last night, she’s hoping that Dee won’t show up and that she’ll forget everything, because if not, she might need to quit all her part time jobs, move to a different city….

“Marge…” she heard someone called her. Realizing who it was, she turned around to put a face on a familiar voice.

“Dee… wha.. what are you doing here? Ho…how did you know I was here?”

 “Finally, you acknowledge who I am. I’m so happy to hear you say my name.” she heard Dee whispered, as she felt her arms hugging her tight.

She stood there not doing anything for a few seconds. Feeling the warm embrace that she never thought she’ll ever feel again. But coming back to her senses, she immediately pushes Dee and create some distance between them.

“Marge… please…”

“I… I told you… how many times do you want me to say it. I told you to leave me alone. Don’t come near me again. I don’t know how you learned where I worked, but please, I’m begging you to just leave me alone.” She said strongly, fighting the back the tears that’s threatening to fall. 

“Marge, why can’t you just give me a chance? All I want is for us to talk… Can’t we just act how we were like before? I’m not asking for the moon here… I just want to sit down and talk… It’s been 10 years, please Marge…” Dee begged.

But she’s still determined. “Exactly, it’s been 10 years Dee... So, I’m not sure what you don’t get here. I told you… I don’t want to see you… I don’t want to talk to you… You have your own life now, and I have mine, so why can’t you just move on and let go?”

“I can’t… I can’t let go… because in the first place, I did not let you go! I waited for you Marge. I waited in the BIG TREE just like you told me! I was there at the exact time you promised to see me. And when you didn’t show up, I run… I looked for you… At your house, at school… I’ve looked in every place I could think of… I called you… I screamed your name… I kept looking for you… until now, I haven’t stop looking for you. Because I did not let go … I haven’t moved on…  and I won’t allow you to just leave me again Marge…” Dee strongly said. Fighting for everything she holds dear.

“I will Dee, I will leave again. And this time you won’t see me. I’ll quit my jobs and I’ll move somewhere you can’t find me. And just like what I said in the letter before, please move on, you don’t need to concern yourself about me… Don’t waste your life with a memory of someone like me… You deserve more and you deserve better… This is goodbye, Dee.” She firmly said, not letting herself get swept up with Dee’s words.

Before she can leave, she heard a loud thud. And at that moment, whatever she’s feeling, left and drained her body as she saw Dee lying on the ground.