t w o

Take me back to the night we met

"Uhm... id like to have a number three and then can we just get an order of chips?" The tired middle-aged man behind the counter slowly nods. "See, she doesn't like fish," Harry continues. "I don't get it either, she hates anything that lives in the sea and is not even going to consider eating it, can you believe that?"

"That makes seven pounds."

"That's the only thing I know about her," He opens his wallet to retrieve the money owed to the man. "Maybe that's why it bothers me so much," he grumbles a thank you as he takes the money and wishes them a good evening.

"Uhm... I'm Avery," She takes the chips, sending him a thankful smile. "Sorry, I forgot to introduce myself."

"Avery..." Harry nods with a grin. "I like it."

Her cheeks heated up slightly at his comment.

"So, if you don't mind me asking, why were you out so late?"

She hadn't expected his question, let alone come up with an answer.

"Where are you at the club?"

She laughs at the thought of her being caught dead in a club and shakes her head adamantly. "No, I was just outside to get some fresh air." She explains, even though the real reason she was out there was that she couldn't sleep, like always.

"Well, I was in the pub, looking for a one-night stand,'' harry shrugs. "Then that guy beat me up because apparently, I got a little too close to his girlfriend."

Avery frowns at his honest answer and the uncomfortable feeling that has been plaguing her all night returns once again. Was he implying that she was going to be his one-night stand? Of course, who would ever be interested in her? They all just want sex.

Harry noticed her sudden change in mood. "I'm not planning on sleeping with you if that's what you are thinking. I only sleep with girls I am in love with."

"How can you say that after telling me that you were out tonight searching for a one-night stand? You can't fall in love in one evening."

"I can." He takes another chip and dips it into the ketchup on her paper plate.

"So, you were in love with the girl from the pub? The one with the boyfriend?" Avery asks, pushing her plate towards Harry. She had never heard someone speak so casually about love. He was speaking about it as if it were an everyday topic.

"Well, I was falling in love with her."

"You're not making any sense." Avery shakes her head at his antics.

"Why not? It's the same as seafood. You had fish once and decided that you hate it, while when I ate fish for the first time I loved it. I didn't have to spend a year with the fish to decide that I loved it."