Crowned King of Wessex

Start from the beginning

Khaana turned around hesitantly and looked down to Eadgyth.  Khaana's gaze demanded further explanation and Eadgyth shrunk back under it. "I...am to escort you to the baths and then to the the King," Eadgyth stammered holding out her arms slightly to show a new tunic, white as before it was folded up several times and looked to be very long. "for you, it is a gift, picked by the hands of Lady Aelswith herself." Eadgyth added.

"very special indeed, that there is a woman who likes no one." Leofric murmured. Khaana glanced up at Leofric "that gives me only more pause. Alfred, who trusts no one and the queen who likes no one, wish to speak with me? am I bribed with gifts? or is this good will? I have no need for material things." Khaana said, for once her act and what was real fell in line to make her words true.

"Goodwill not likely, but I do not see our lord looking to gain your disfavor." Leofric advised. Khaana's frown grew longer. "very well, lead me." Khaana said, following behind Eadgyth.

In the Bath house, mean to be used by the queen, little more than a sparcely filled room with a long wooden basin to bathe in and a table with assorted soaps and perfumes. Khaana looked around and saw two Nuns working quickly to fill the bath with warm water. Khaana cautiously followed behind Eadgyth as she headed for a table containing dry cloth,  Khaana watched the nuns, who seemed to flee the moment the bath was full. Eadgyth gestured to the bath with her hands "Please while the water is hot." she said, then after turning to have her back face the tub to give Khaana a moment of Privacy. Khaana went to the water and stuck a finger in, swishing her hand around in the water afterwards.

Her skin did not burn or tingle in a way were she should have been worried, even still there was something odd about the water. Eadgyth rolled her eyes and then chuckled as she heard the water being swished about. "Lady, that is mint in the water, Lady Aelswith finds it calming, it puts her at piece." Eadgyth explained. Khaana bending down gave the waters a sniff, she was not lying.

Standing back up Khaana removed her tunic and twisted her hair enough to throw it over her shoulder before getting into the bath. the warm water felt nice to her damaged muscles. Eadgyth brought her her a tray of soaps "our Lady like this one, but, on rare occasions I am allowed to come here, the soap on the left smells of fresh grass and pine. It is my favorite." Eadgyth said. Khaana took up the soap she recommended and the girl returned to her post and turned her back.

"the people are fascinated by you." Eadgyth said, if her brother could talk with her, Eadgyth was sure it was safe for her to do so as well. "Its appalling" Khaana sighed quietly, Eadgyth giggled "It looks like a lot of fun, half of the city is chirp like fresh nuns and the other half is terrified beyond belief. " said Eadgyth.

"even my brother comes home as worried as a priest, praying forgiveness and goin gin for confession." Eadgyth hummed. Khaana chuckled "The Urswine is so worried for his soul?" Khaana said, she had only realized she let her name for him slip once the girl started laughing. "Urswine?" Eadgyth asked between her giggles. 

"I like it! may I use it? when he makes me mad?" Eadgyth asked. Khaana shrugged and finished washing herself "If you would like, however, you didn't get it from me." Khaana said. "no not a word on where it comes from." Eadgyth replied.

When Khaana was dressed, Eadgyth bound her hair in a long braid and lead the way to the King. "it seems he is already in council with the Pagan." Eadgyth said as the two lingered a moment out side of the King's Hall. Hearing Uhtred's voice there in, Khaana stepped forward and pulled open a door, slipping inside, "If they fear anything at all it would be the risk  of losing too many men." Uhtred said, "so they love to fight but hate to lose, hardly a revelation." Odda the elder said.  "Odda, it would seem, does not value your Council, Uhtred." Alfred said walking closer to Uhtred, who had his back turned to the old Alderman. "I do not." Odda proclaimed, Uhtred rolled his eyes "and I care not." said Uhtred.