Chapter Two: The New Exhibit

Start from the beginning

Lori turned to start her trek back east but her feet had other ideas; they took her up the wide stone steps of the MET. This particular museum was one of her favorite places in the whole world. She could spend hours among the works of the masters, making sure to cover every square inch of the multiple wings and featured exhibits, running out to grab a hotdog whenever she got hungry. She loved to spend hours walking through the maze of galleries and period rooms; from the American Wing displaying some of the best American art in the world through the Robert Lehman collection where she was dazzled by the works of Goya, Matisse and Van Gogh. Each work by Titian, Degas, Da Vinci, and Michelangelo were reminders of a better time; a time when her brother had still been alive and part of her life.

Now Lori felt its pull like a siren's song; she felt almost helpless against the urge to head inside and look around.

The woman behind the ticket booth gazed over her black horn-rimmed glasses at Lori, a hawk like expression on her sharp face. She passed the irate looking cashier a ten-dollar bill and flashed her student ID. The woman sniffed but reluctantly gave her the M pin she needed to wear while touring the museum. As was her and Michael's tradition, Lori started from the top floor of the museum and made her way down.

Michael had loved the museum even more than she did. He'd earned his degree in Art History and Appreciation at NYU. Through his school connections he even managed to get an internship at the MET his last year of undergraduate study. She'd been so excited for him. It was almost as good as getting a job there herself. She'd still been in high school at the time, struggling with grades and her own part-time job at a Starbucks, but whenever Lori could pull herself away, she'd made sure to visit her brother at work.

Now as she moved through the familiar rooms, Lori felt the same old comfort and sense of peace settle around her. This was what she knew. Even when everything else seemed to be spiraling out of control, she could come here and feel whole again. Sometimes she'd close her eyes and could almost hear Michael's voice explaining an artist's motivation, or what was happening during the time a piece was created.

It was just before noon when Lori finally reached her favorite part of the museum: the reconstructed Temple of Dendur.

As a girl she loved to sneak into the Temple and pretend she'd really gone back in time to Ancient Egypt. She'd stand inside the large exhibit and fantasize about ancient kings and queens. Even now, years later, she still loved to lose herself in the structure, pretending for a minute she was someone else.

"Magical isn't it?" asked a deep, musical voice beside her.

Lori had been so lost in her own world she never felt the stranger's approach. Startled she turned and practically fell over herself when she saw the tall and totally gorgeous man standing next to her.

He was at least six two, with wide shoulders and a narrow waist perfectly set off in a custom-made Italian suit. His chestnut hair was neatly cropped yet stylishly long in the front, and he had eyes the grey of summer storm clouds. His lips were full and plush and seemed made for long, deep kisses. His nose was sharp and aristocratic, set off by a strong chin and high brow.

He had the most perfect face in the history of the male race but it was so much more than that. There was a wild, almost savage quality that just flowed off his entire being. It made her think of a time when men were built more warrior than Wall Street. Even as he stood there, the very image of upper-crust wealth and sophistication in his silk suit and three hundred dollar haircut, he seemed a blend of old world warrior and modern day elegance.

The effect was devastating.

Unable to form the slightest word of agreement she could only nod her head dumbly.