Prologue

I was trapped. The vampire had its fangs bared, looming over me, grinning. He caressed my cheek, and I whimpered, afraid to use my magic, not that it would work anyway. I was weak. I spoke in a whisper. "Please...let me go, I-I'll do whatever you want, I'll give you my magic, just please let me go."

The vampire chuckled and spoke darkly. "Don't be afraid, little one. Your powers are not what I desire...not yet. You are still much too young and inexperienced. Why they keep a young, gifted child as you hid from the world, I will never know. Those fools. They know of the immense, incredible power that you possess, yet, they still hide everything from you...what a pity." The vampire grinned evilly. "But don't worry, it will all be over very soon." He trailed a single, large clawed finger down my cheek and stopped at my neck, his fangs appearing, glistening in the moonlight. The vampire leaned down, his eyes turning pitch black, and fangs tickling my neck. I immediately tensed my body, squeezing my eyes shut, tears falling from my eyes.

Shortly after, I heard a battle cry and magic struck the beast, slamming it to the ground. I gasped and looked at my parents, their wings open behind them, my fathers' face one of pure rage. My dad kept using his magic to attack the beast, while my mom set me free from the chains. I clung to her like a koala, burying my face in the crook of her neck, her dark brown hair hiding me. She stroked my back soothingly, shushing me. "It's alright now, sweetheart. Mommy and Daddy will protect you."

Cassandra shouted to Harold. "I'm taking Sofi home. Good luck." Harold nodded, quickly blowing her a kiss. I clung to her neck, screaming out for Daddy. "Daddy! Daddy!" Cassandra crossed her hands, palms up, and using the magic of teleportation we were back home, safe with Stephanie, and Damien, my siblings. Stephanie quickly rushed to hug and comfort me while Damien and Cassandra moved into the kitchen to talk. I cried into Stephanie's arms.

"Stephanie...it was so scary." Stephanie shushed me. "It's okay, little sister. You're safe now, it's going to be okay." I sniffled, looking up at her. "Will Daddy be okay?" Stephanie nodded. "He'll be fine. He's stronger than the vampire." Stephanie wiped my tears then set me down on my feet and took my hand. "Come on, let's get you ready for bed." "Okay..." Stephanie helped me change into my pj's and laid down with me on her bed. I was happy she was there but I was still frightened and clinging to her. "What if the vampire comes back, sis?" She hugged me close. "Don't worry, Sofi. We will all be here to protect you. I promise." Stephanie started singing my favorite lullaby.

I smiled and soon fell fast asleep in her arms.

Stephanie moved out of bed and left the door open a crack before leaving the room. She went downstairs and sat at the dining room table, where Damien, Mom, and Dad were waiting. "She's asleep." Cassandra nodded and turned to Damien. "Damien, Stephanie, I know it's hard for me to ask this of you...but your father and I were talking, and we've come to the conclusion that both of you must unite your powers and take away Sofi's memories." She looked down, hurt. "None of us foresaw this coming, especially with our powers of premonition." Cassandra gazed into Stephanie's eyes, her own full of determination. "I want to change your sister's future, to make it better. Hopefully, she never learns about any magic, however, it is better that she forgets about this life, and starts a new one for herself, eventually forging her path."

Stephanie looked down, her eyes brimming with tears. "Doesn't that mean she won't remember us either? I don't know if I could handle that..." Cassandra and Harold came around the table and put their hands on their older daughters' shoulders, hugging her. Harold stroked her hair. "It's for the best, sweetie. That way she won't be traumatized by any of this."

Damien held his sister's hand. "Mom and Dad are right, sis. It is better this way. Sofia will be happier and she won't have to go through any of what we went through." Stephanie sighed, wiping away a stray tear. "Alright. So, everything will be forgotten?" Everyone nodded. Stephanie turned to Damien. "Let's go."

As soon as their children had left the table, Cassandra let out the tears she had been holding in. Harold held her tightly. "This is what is best for her, Cassandra." Cassandra nodded and wiped her eyes. "I'm so scared for her safety, Harold. What if more evil creatures appear and Sofi doesn't have any magic to protect herself?" Harold shook his head. "She will have magic, she's our daughter. We will just have to keep guiding her the best we can...just from a distance." His wife sniffled. "I guess..."

Damien and Stephanie came downstairs, their faces distraught. "We did it..." Cassandra and Harold stood up, holding hands, and joined Stephanie and Damien. Forming a circle, the family began to intonate, using their powers and making it so that young Sofi would never have contact with the magical world, and all the horrible creatures that dwelled in it. After they finished, they all hugged and vanished, heartbroken, because, while it hurt leaving their daughter and sister, they all knew that it was best for her.