29.New Friend

Smoker x child!Reader
Requested by: MaskedMessengerKid

I don't really like the title, so if you have any suggestions, feel free to comment.
Enjoy~
~~~~~~~~~~

"What is it, Tashigi?" Smoker inquired as he lit two new cigars.

The young woman muttered something incomprehensible while fumbling with the left sleeve of her pink coat.

"I didn't hear you."

"I said... that you have to do... something..." her tone lowered with every word she spoke, the last one almost a whisper.

"I don't have to do anything at all today." He rose from the coziness of his office chair and glanced outside the big windows. "You are dismissed."

"B-But sir-"

"You ARE dismissed, Tashigi. Don't bother me today." This sounded almost like a threat, but the captain was still standing at the other side of the wooden desk.

She gathered some courage and raised her voice at her superior. "No, sir! I'm not dismissed yet! You have to do something for me!" The vice-admiral turned to her with a glare. "P-Please..." Tashigi lowered her head and stared at the floor as if it was the most interesting thing ever.

Smoker just groaned before adding "What?"

"There's this girl I always visit. And since I'm going to a nearby island with some men, I'd like for you, sir, to take care of her while I'm away."

He intently stared at her before giving her an answer.

~

"What did I get myself into?" he whispered to himself as he stood next to your hospital bed, gazing at your small, sleeping form. Tashigi didn't inform him about your age, perhaps because she knew what his reply would have been. Anyway, from what he could guess just by looking at you, you weren't older than five or six.

Smoker sighed but halted his movements as soon as he saw you slowly waking up.

"Who are you?" your childish voice reached him.

"A... friend of Tashigi... sort of..." he mumbled the last words, mentally hoping you didn't hear him.

"Oh." you gawked at him for some moments, apparently lost in some weird thoughts. "I'm (Y/n)." you added with a cute squeak.

"Cute? What?"

~

"Where we goin'?" you asked as the tall man — from your point of view, at least — walked ahead of you. And you were literally running to try and catch up to his long strides.

After reaching what your young mind could guess was a training ground, he suddenly stopped, making you brutally bump into his legs.

"Hey, it's Smoke- I-I mean, it's vice-admiral Smoker!"

"Hello, Smokey!"

Bulky men with scarred faces, weird headgear and missing teeth approached the two of you. They weren't the best of sights.

You yelped in fear before hiding behind the white-haired man, clutching the fabric of his pants and tightly shutting your eyelids.
You only felt a big hand landing on your head, its touch unfamiliarly caring and warm.

"Go back to training. I was just taking a stroll." he spat in annoyance at his subordinates.

"Yes, sir! But who's that brat there?" someone questioned, probably pointing at you.

"Back to training! Now!" Smoker ordered, making them scram. He then turned to face you and crouched down to your height.

Gradually, you reopened your eyes, tears brimming them and threatening to fall if it wasn't for his muscular arms picking you up.
As he walked away from there, you snuggled into his chest with a sweet smile on your face and, eventually, fell asleep.

~

You suddenly sat up with a cry, sweat covering your entire body.
The room you were currently in was foreign, for you were used to the small hospital one you were given.

The door opened and let someone inside; the smell of cigars that immediately reached you made you realize who they were.

"Something wrong, brat?"

"I..." Looking at your lap, you didn't notice Smoker going out of the local and then coming back with a white towel. "Huh?" You tilted your head in confusion.

"You need a shower." he bluntly stated. You'd have sweatdropped if you weren't drowsy.

One of his large hands then held your tiny one as the vice-admiral led you to the showers.

After a relaxing bath, he brought you back to his office, sometimes walking by some officials or soldiers.
As soon as you reached the place, he let you go to the bedroom that was connected to it.

But you didn't want to go alone.
"Um... Smokey..." That nickname made him cringe, but he managed to mask the disgust he felt for it.

"What?"

"I no wanna go alone..." you informed him, staring at the stone tiles under you.

The man heaved a sigh, before making his way to you and picking you up in his arms. He then entered his bedroom, put you on the bed and sat next to it, on the cold floor.

"'Night, Smokey!" You gifted him one of your sweet grins as your small hands held his — which he had previously offered; your peaceful face came into contact with his rough skin when you snuggled into his knuckles and he couldn't help fighting the sleepiness that eventually overcame him. A hint of a smile present on his features.

"Goodnight, little brat."

~

As days elapsed, you grew attached to Smoker. And the same happened to him: he was starting to accept the little girl always following him around — he wouldn't tell a soul because of his pride and position, but he actually enjoyed his moments with you.

Then, ever since he understood you had nightmares, he refused to let you be on your own; just like the first night, he allowed you to sleep in his bed (at times, with him too).
When you took your afternoon naps, he would interrupt everything only to secretly spent his time next to you, always on the floor as you held his hand.

But the thing both of you liked the most was when the vice-admiral had you relax on his muscular chest while he comfortably sat in his office chair.

"Smokey." You called him, raising your face to look at him. He only hummed, his eyes fixed on the view the windows offered. "When Tashigi back?"

"When will Tashigi be back." he corrected before answering. "Probably in a day or two."

"No wanna go." you whimpered hugging his neck. You felt his hand entirely cover your back.

"Why not, (Y/n)?" He didn't even realize he called you with your name and not with the usual 'brat'.

"You my new friend. Stay wi' you." Your puppy eyes were irresistible as they stared into his. He had to admit your (e/c) orbs were peculiar.

"Fine. You can stay here with me." he let out a sigh, faking annoyance but secretly not minding what he just stated.

~~~~~~~~~~

Happy new year everyone!!❤️❤️🎉
I thank you all from the bottom of my heart for all the support I received❤️
See you in 2021 with new stories (hopefully, I'll start publishing my fanfic too🥰)~~