55.Cold

Law x Shifter!Reader

~~~~~~~~~~

"C-Captain, it's c-c-cold h-here!" a pirate whined, his teeth noisily gritting as he tried to withstand the unbearably freezing atmosphere.

"Penguin-ya, this is a winter island."

"I-I know, but s-still..."

"Oi, Bepo! Give us some of your fur!" his friend Shachi ordered, a hint of jealousy present in his hidden gaze.

"Leave Bepo alone."

"Sorry." the polar bear stared with a depressed aura surrounding him.

"Why are you even apologizing?!"

"So-"

"Don't apologize!"

"Shut your mouths, you three!" Law commanded, his glare icier than the frigid air around their forms.

His eyes drifted back to the light mark in the white snow in front of him, before they followed the path of prints.

Something didn't click, though.
There were no human traces on the island. And the mink in the crew had smelt nothing but wild animals.
So, why was he staring at human footprints?

~

The cavern the beast sought refuge in luckily provided enough of a cover from the bitter cold, although a light breeze still managed to reach it.

As soon as the scent of humans reached its nose, its legs sprung into action, taking their owner to a snowy cliff that granted a clear view of the only inlet, where a yellow submarine was docked.

But then, when three of them decided to explore with a talking polar bear, the leopard opted to head back, to avoid crossing paths with them.

As the wild animal was trotting towards its shelter, another creature appeared at the foot of the gargantuan mountain, right in front of the cave's entrance.

The dotted predator growled, baring its razor-sharp fangs in hopes of scaring the foe.
Unfortunately, the latter didn't care in the slightest.

The two then circled around, their orbs fixed on the opponent.
None made a sound, despite stepping on the crunchy, snowy blanket, but the wind picked up, whistling as it rushed through the bare branches and carrying the snowflakes around.

Then, as everything else stilled, they pounced on each other.

~

The wild growls and snarls and roars reached the group of pirates, who halted in their tracks.
Their curious eyes frantically flew from one companion to the other, as if they were expecting some kind of explication or command. They weren't sure either.

Out of nowhere and without a word having been uttered, the four rushed towards the source of the noises.

Gasps left their mouths when they reached the place, eyes wide at the scene before them. Red splatters covered everything, from the barks of nearby trees to the white ground, to the rocky wall near the cavern's entrance, while balls of white and dark fur either flew away or got stuck in the bloody spots.

"Stay here, you three." Law ordered, his stoic expression back on his face as his grey orbs followed a crimson trail till it disappeared inside the tunnel. "I'll take a look in there."

"Yes, Captain!"

His steps echoed as he advanced, but it wasn't long before the raven-haired pirate reached the end of the cavern.