Chapter 14

Artemis Pov

Standing in front the window of the guest room, the sunsets behind the vast forest stretching across acres and acres of land. Below me I watch as Alex's pack members set up, children smiling and chasing each. I watch in silence at one particular child sitting on the tree just watching the kids have fun. He stares at them in longing and I tilt my head in curiosity when he puts his hand in his pocket bringing out what seems to be a caterpillar, frowning at him when he starts muttering things under his breath whilst staring at the it. Opening the window so I can hear him, the cold wind blows against my face sending some of my hair flying in my mouth. Scowling at myself, I spit the hair out pushing the rest behind my shoulder.

I hate that so much.

Ignoring it, I look at the boy again using my werewolf hearing to listen to his conversation.

"I 'm sad." He whispers sadly staring at the children for a minute and bringing his gaze back to the caterpillar. "No one wants to play with me because they said I'm different. They call me names like freak and weirdo but my mommy said different is good."

I furrow my brows at his words but still listen.

"I wish I was like the rest of them. I wish I could become a butterfly. Want to know why?" He questions his baby blue eyes staring at the caterpillar crawling in his palms. "Because then I'll be beautiful and everyone will like me."

My heart breaks at his words, climbing the window sill a knock on the door startles me before I can jump to him. The scent of rain and pine wood hits my nose and I know it's Nathan. Getting down, I look back at the tree only to realise he's gone but I'll find him. The knock comes again this time louder and I sigh in frustration running my fingers through my hair to tame the curls a bit.

"Come in." I murmur and the door opens. Raising my brow at the door as I watch Nathan poking his head in before opening it fully to allow himself in. Wearing a dark wash jeans and a white buttoned up shirt he offers me a small smile.

"I wanted to let you know that the Alpha request your presence. He wants to officially thank you for what you did and also have dinner with the pack members." He says looking everywhere but my face and I smile at how awkwardly he stands there fidgeting with his fingers.

"You can ask you know." I muse and his eyes snap to mine quickly, widening before he looks back down. He clenches his jaw before looking at me again.

"How come you have violet eyes?" I smile at him walking towards the night bag I packed in case of emergencies, pulling out a mom jeans and a black hoodie. He watches me in silence as I go to the bathroom and without glancing at him, I shut the door.

Okay so what lies are we gonna come up with?

I roll my eyes at Red. I'm not gonna lie to him.

What!! You can't possibly tell him the truth? 

I shrug not bothering to give her an answer. Taking of my clothes  I step in the shower allowing the water to soothe my aching muscles. Showers really help you know, they help clear your mind from every unwanted thoughts and just then my mind wanders towards the little boy I saw and I frown, why would he think that way?

My skin starts to prune and I sigh turning the shower off and step out. Standing in front of the mirror, a towel wrapped around me, I raise my hand wiping the fog from the mirror.

Violet eyes stare at me, tiny freckles dotted on my face, black hair wet from the shower sticks to my face and I tilt my head to the side watching as the reflection does the same. Looking away, I put my underwear on, allowing my hair to air dry before wearing my clothes. Stepping out, I find Nathan still there staring out the window. I watch him in silence as he stares at the moon hidden behind the forest but still bright enough that it lights it up.