Chapter Sixty-four

Start from the beginning

"He didn't like me, did he?" I smile, making light of the situation. "Well, that's because he doesn't know me very well. And daddies always want to protect their daughters, so he was only worried about her."

Zach places the controller on the floor and looks at me with concern.

"But you love her. You wouldn't hurt her."

I feel a twinge in my heart. I wish it worked that way. But sadly, sometimes, it's the ones we love the most that we end up hurting.

"I do love her. You're right." I smile at him. "And I would never deliberately hurt her. But he doesn't know that."

"Then we'll tell him," Dean says, earnestly. "You won't stop coming here, will you?"

"Absolutely not!" I tell them. "I'm always here if you boys need me."

They smile, and I smile back at them.

"Now, who is getting tickled first?" I say, holding my hands out like claws.

"Him!" They say in unison and shriek as I pin them both down and tickle them relentlessly.

Jessica

I light some of the scented candles and turn the lights off before laying down in bed in an attempt to unwind and calm my mind. But I end up replying my father's words in my head. I hate that Liam heard him say those awful things. This exactly why I didn't want to introduce them. We had a pleasant day, and I was looking forward to an even more pleasant night before he decided to show up and ruin it. I can't believe he had the nerve to say those words to me! This is what he does, come once in a while to drop gifts off and remind us that he exists. But if he wants to be a father, he has to do a little more than having me tailed! Being a father is a lifelong commitment, not a part-time job.

I lay there for what seems like forever until I hear Liam open the door and come inside. I listen as he takes his jeans off and climbs into bed silently, wrapping his arms around me from behind.

I put my hands over his to let him know I am awake.

"The boys are in bed." He tells me

I shift to my other side, so I am facing him.

"Thank you."

"It's my pleasure." He brings his hand up and traces my cheeks with his thumb.

"The boys love you. You are amazing with them." I tell him, and I feel a flutter in my stomach as I picture him with our own children.

Someday he is going to make a great dad.

Liam looks uneasy, his features suddenly filling with concern.

"What is it?" I ask.

"Zach asked me why you were mad at your father."

This startles me.

"Did he..."

Liam nods.

"Yeah, he heard. But I don't know how much. I told them it was just a misunderstanding. But he also mentioned the woman your father is marrying. I think you should talk to them."

I draw in a long breath before nodding. I am always careful not to lose my temper around them. I don't want the way I feel about our father to affect their views of him. I just lost it today, and now I feel guilty. Liam must see it because he shakes his head.

"It's not your fault, Jess. You were upset."

"Yeah, but that's not a good excuse to throw a fit in front of the boys. They didn't need to hear that." I close my eyes. "I just lost it."