Chapter Seventy-seven

This chapter is dedicated to Nightingale63 thank you so so much for the continued support. It means the world to me!!

 It means the world to me!!

Jessica

I walk down the stairs, Imagine Dragons blaring through my Airpods. I feel like I am going camping with how heavy my backpack is right now. But I couldn't decide which books to take and which ones to leave behind. We start finals tomorrow, and I feel both anxious and excited. I cannot believe my high school years are coming to an end, but I am also ready for something new.

The only thing is it's Liam's birthday today, and due to the amount of stress we are all under, I couldn't plan anything too out there. So Steff came up with the idea of staying in and cooking dinner. As in the whole group coming over to make dinner and have a little celebration and a study party. I didn't tell him the idea but sounds good to me. I'm planning to take him to a picnic down by the lake beforehand, so that should be fun.

I feel someone tapping me on my shoulder, and I turn around.

Mom looks at me sternly, and her lips start moving, but I can't hear her.

I pull my Airpods out.

"What?"

"I hate when you do that!" She says. "Would it kill you to take those out once in a while?"

I roll my eyes.

"Don't roll your eyes at me! I called you like ten times."

"Okay, sorry. What is it?" I ask dryly.

She sighs.

We had an explosive fight last week after I spoke to Brittany. I couldn't understand why she didn't tell me about Wel'ma and our relationship, or lack thereof, with the Morgan family. And I still don't get it. Her reason is "Because I didn't want to tint the image you have of your dad." As if!

I think she told him about it because he's been blowing up my phone like crazy.

"I said did you get everything ready for the Picnic?" She eyes me.

She tried to get on my good graces by helping me bake English Muffins and artsy Cupcakes to take with me.

"Yeah, I'm good to go."

"Tell Liam I wish him a wonderful birthday. I wish he would have come. But anyway, don't forget to give him our present."

"I won't," I say, walking into the kitchen to grab the picnic basket.

"Let me help you with that," Mom says, grabbing the basket. "That backpack looks heavy."

For a childish second, I want to tell her not to bother. But I decide against it, and I let her help me to the car.

I drive to Liam's place and drop my bag. Then I tell him to get dressed and lead him to my car.

He smiles at me like a delighted child when he spots the basket in the back seat.