Prologue

Junior Year

I hate it when Teachers decide to give a surprise quiz. Especially on Fridays. Just when you thought the week was finally over, 'Happy Friday! I've got a fun little surprise for you— sike! I hope you fail.'

The Chemistry quiz was positively horrendous! And the funny part is Sanchez kept trying to copy my answers even though I repeatedly told him not to. Now we're both probably failing. But at least I am on good terms with Ms. Sandler. I'm sure she'll find a way for me to earn extra credits if I need them.

"Don't sweat it. You'll do great in the finals." Steff tries to cheer me up.

"Ugh! Chemistry is the worst subject!" I groan, popping the cold fries in my mouth.

"Debatable." Jeremy says.

I glare at him.

"Indulge me, please. I'm having a bad day."

He shrugs nonchalantly.

"I totally agree." Steff says, shooting him a glare. "I hate Chemistry!"

"Thank you." I tell her.

I had planned to read a little last night. But sadly, Dad forgot to take the twins out. Again. And I hated seeing the disappointment on their faces, so I took them to the Themed Park. By the time we got back, I was too exhausted to lift a finger.

I let out a sigh, and I look up just as Elliot and Brittany walk into the Cafeteria hand in hand. I feel a sharp sting in my chest. It hurts every single time.

"Jess, don't look!" Steff scolds.

"Seriously, that's what she wants. Just ignore them." Jeremy looks at me sympathetically.

I wish I could just ignore them. But it's kind of hard to ignore when the girl who was supposed to be my best friend is now dating my ex after he cheated on me with her. And she loves to rub it in my face too. I trusted them both. They were the closest people I had. I hate that I never saw it coming. But then again, how could anyone?

"I hate them!" I say bitterly, gritting my teeth. But I can't help darting my eyes back to them.

I'm shocked to find Elliot already staring at me. We lock eyes, and even from across the room, I can feel the pull his blue eyes have on me. I wait for him to look away, but he doesn't. And I feel a blush creeping to my cheeks, but I snap myself out of it.

He cheated on me.

I feel anger spark in my chest all over again, and I turn my head away, letting my hair fall over my face.

I need to stop romanticizing him. He broke my heart!

***

I absentmindedly play with my water bottle, listening to Steff and Jermey talk.

"Hey, there!"

I snap my head up at the unexpected voice. Brittany is standing with her tray in her hands and a smile on her annoyingly proportional face.

"What do you want? There is no boyfriend for you to steal here." Steff says, shooting her glare.

"Stefani, as lovely as ever." Brittany rolls her eyes and turns to me. "I heard Ms. Sandler gave you guys a surprise quiz. How did it go?"

Steff and I look at each other just as Jeremy says, "You can't be serious!"

Why is she asking me this like we are friends when we are the exact opposite! She's done nothing but torment me all year. Now she wants to chit chat over lunch?