o n e.

(draco's pov)

As i lay there, with her in my arms, I pulled her close to me, her head on my chest. I ran my fingers through her curls which bounced off of the light.

"I'm sorry for everything y/n. I love you more than life itself. I wish it didn't have to end like this." I whispered as a tear streamed down my face.

It broke me to see her like this. She'd been like this since the Battle Of Hogwarts a month ago, and her condition was worsening. The spells "Crucio" and "Sectum Sempra" had been cast on her. For the past month, she'd been having hysterical fits. Mental breakdowns and fits of rage at the most little things. We'd gone to St Mungo's to see if there was a cure but there was none and it was only a matter of time before she fell asleep and i cast that spell on her.

She'd already said goodbye to everyone else; Potter, Weasely, Granger. Even Professor McGonnagal had cried when she hugged her. Now I lay there, waiting for her to fall asleep , dreading that moment.

"Draco, promise me something?" she said, looking up at me.
"Of course. Anything for you." I kissed her forehead.
"Promise me that you'll never forget me? Promise me even though we're in two different worlds, I'll be in your mind?" She smiled at me.
"I promise."
She sat up and kissed me, her lips soft as a blanket. I melted into the kiss as I interlocked our palms. I would never forget this feeling. I would never forget her.

As I lay there with a sleeping y/n in my arms, i knew what I had to do. Yet now it irked me. A worm of desperation. A worm that lay in my stomach, trying to search for a way to end her suffering but at the same time keep her here with me. I knew deep down that there was no cure except death.

"Goodbye Y/N. I promise you we'll be together again one day. This isn't the end." I said, as I closed my eyes and cast the killing curse on her.

I broke down as i thought about that first day at Hogwarts in first year. She'd been sorted into slytherin and she sat beside me, introducing herself with a smile. If I knew things would've come to this, I would've protected her and took care of her even more. I would've told her to go back to her house during the Battle.

What kind of person was I if I couldn't even protect her? Maybe, just maybe, if she wasn't with me, she would've been alive and well still.

And so i knew I had to live the rest of my life knowing I was the cause of an innocent girl . That should've been me. I should've died instead of her.