sixteen

No

No. I did not save one brownie for the stranger I met only an hour ago. He walked around the table and stood beside me, leaning back on it.

"No, there's...still a table full of food." I said, pointing the the long, rectangular table which had a whole lot of different foods. He shrugged and picked up a pink block of something.

"What's this?" He asked more to himself than me.

"A pink block." I replied with a grin. He rolled his eyes playfully and hesitantly put the food in his mouth, facial features contorting into disgust. Soon enough he swallowed it and picked the entire bowl of them up.

"These need to go." He mumbled, looking around the room for anyone paying attention before hiding the bowl under the table.

"It was strawberry cake." A new voice came in.

Me and Joziah turned momentarily to see no other than Wyatt who was smirking and eating any food he could get his hands on.

"It tasted like shit." Joziah replied and Wyatt turned, pointing to Reuben.

"No wonder, he made it."

Well that explains a lot. What I didn't have an answer to was why this was even necessary. They could have come to the event alone and left me to sleep.

"Now, I must go mingle with humans that exhaust my soul." Wyatt smile sarcastically and started in the opposite direction.

I turned back to look at Joziah who was glaring at his father. If looks could kill surely Alexander would be on the floor. I tapped his shoulder in an attempt to gain his attention so I could get some answers. He looked at me and I began the questioning.

"Why are we here?" I asked, looking around at no one in particular.

"Not for a good reason. They shouldn't have brought you without telling you beforehand." He answered.

I only nodded and grinned when I saw someone I recognised.

"Princess?" I shouted, earning some looks from the other people around the room and gaining the attention of all my brothers.

Rowan turned his head, a wide grin spreading across his face as he left his family to mingle and approached me.

"Ria, what are you doing here?" He asked, throwing an arm around my shoulder as if we had known eachother for years.

"Same goes for you." I replied, looking up at him and maneuvering his arm off my shoulder.

He shrugs, giving a me an I-shall-never-reveal-my-secrets look and waves frantically at a guy who runs the opposite direction.

"Don't be going anywhere." Rowan shouts at the guy making him give him a dirty look. Rowan turns back to me with a grin and salute before following the blonde guy out of the room.

"A friend of yours?" Joziah questions, raising a perfectly arched brow.

"Somewhat." I answer, watching curiously as Alexander steps onto the large stage, taking a glass of wine from the table and raising it.

"I've called this gathering to announce the alliance of two long term rival families," he pauses, looking at me as my all my brothers apart fromDamon and Wyatt lower their heads," The Ivanov's and the Hunt's. Enjoy your night everyone as we set this feud behind us." He finishes and everyone raises their own glasses.

My eyes widen and my heartbeat quickens as I stare dumbfounded at my brothers. They lied to me. I trusted them and they lied to me, just like everyone else.

No one can change, all they can do is hide behind the mask they create for themselves.

Tears build up in my eyes and I quicken my pace to leave the room. My hand is only inches away from the handle before all the lights go out and an ear piercing scream silences the room.

I feel my body hit the ground with a thud and someone pull me away from the door as shadowy figures rush to get out.

I try hitting the person who has a hand around my waist but stop when the lights come back on and I realise it is Joziah. My hand falls back down and I look at the scene before me.

The windows are all shattered, discarded glass laying around the floor while people still try to leave. My brothers are nowhere to be seen but a still body lays in the centre of the room.

A woman, around thirty, had a bullet in her abdomen and shoulder where blood was pooling around her.

A man rushes to her side after frantically looking around and I spot Alexander not seeming bothered by any of this as he dusts his hands on his suit and takes another glass of wine from the table.

"Victoria." A voice calls and I look to the side of me where Reuben is, his eyes darting everywhere until they land on me.

"Shit, are you hurt?" He asks, pulling me up and checking my hands for any pieces of glass lodged in them.

"No." I reply, looking around aimlessly until I see Alexi yelling at Alexander from across the room.

My eyes wander over to the man and woman and I see him cradling her pale body in his arms. Sadness creeps into me even though I don't have any relation to them.

"What happened?" I ask, collecting every piece of information I could remember.

"I‐ uh," Reuben stumbles over his words before eventually speaking in a calm tone," We just need to leave, follow me."

A scowl tugs at my lips when I realise he isn't going to tell me anything but expect me to go willingly with him back home.

Tugging my wrist from his hand I fold my arms.

"Tell me what just happened and why." I demand, putting on a firm tone to receive the answers I deserve.

So much for a nice business event that would go without a hitch. Now flashes of blue and red make their way through the city and a grieving man is pulled away from his wife that just had two bullets put in her.
_______________________________________