Restless Wessex

Depuis le début

Khaana went to take a step forward, and her knees nearly gave way, Uhtred lowered and free'd from his cage, rushed to Khaana and took her up into his arms, breaking away from the Leofric as he went to bind Uhtred in ropes. "No! she is exhausted and I will carry her to the cell if that is where you take us!" Uhtred barked. Leofric looked to Beocca who gave a slight nod. "let him, it is the least we can do for our...misjudgment. I must go to see to the King and will return shortly." Beocca said quickly taking his leave.

"she cannot walk." Brida whispered to Uhtred as they followed behind Leofric, her hands were bound. "she is masking the wounds, Khaana is strong but to heal enough to survive and heal the flesh wounds would take too much energy." Uhtred murmured. "is this true?" Brida asked Khaana, said nothing, focusing on blocking the pain until she could get somewhere isolated.

"tell the Urswine I require a secluded holding." She thought to Uhtred.

"you there! Warrior! Khaana requires a Secluded place....to, to Meditate." Uhtred said, he knew it wasn't the most believable statement, but he hoped the fact that they'd all witnessed a woman survive being burned for nearly a full day would lessen suspicions. "I'm ordered to lock you up, now she can be locked with you or you will have to let her walk to her own cell." Leofric said halting before the cell they were to be placed in. 

Uhtred looked down at Khaana, "she cannot walk, are you to afraid to carry and face what you have done?" Uhtred reasoned. stepping closer to Leofric he scowled "Open your arms, you will carry her to a cell were she will have some privacy, it is the least you can do and not nearly as much as she deserves." Uhtred said.

"Uhtred no! she should be with us." Brida protested. "it is what she wants Brida..." Uhtred muttered back. Brida became quite and glared at Leofric as he hesitantly let Uhtred transfer Khaana into his arms. He was far too tired from the battle to carry anyone and Khaana was heavier than she had looked.

Leofric nodded to the guards nearby, "lock them up" he said, before heading further down into the jail. Down the stone steps it was colder in the lower dungeons of the keep. This place was usually reserved for those destined for a hanging or worse, beheading. but not many were down here at present, save one of two lost souls, and more over, the guards hardly checked on the lower levels, the cells were thick with closely placed bars a hand could barely slip through, escape wasn't possible. The thick walls and ceiling prevented sound from leaking through, as many who were kept down here often tried to make a great commotion to scare the public above. It was however colder down here, Leofric could see his breath  in white wisps as he walked, huffing in exhaustion, but he would take her to the very end of the line of cells.

Her body was still warm from the fires, he could feel it even through his armor and it was frightening. Of all the things he had seen as a warrior of Elderman Odda the Elder, and his service to the King, he'd never imagined he'd play a part in wetting a woman to blaze. No matter the reasons why. let alone a woman who welcomed and faced with without a plea or bat of an eye.

Kicking open the cell, Leofric laid Khaana down as carefully as he could onto a stone cot. she bit her lip to hold back the shout and curse from  hitting the stone less than gracefully.

Leofric back away and out of the cell, locking the door behind him, he lingered for a moment watching he lay there, "I will send some one to bring you clothes, water and food." he mumbled, eyes cast away from her finally. Khaana watched him silently, "the nuns will come and treat your burns...if there are any." He added, turning his back to the cell door he went to walk away briefly halting in his steps. "sorry." he uttered quietly, hurrying away.

Khaana lay there, she listened for his heavy footfalls to fade away up the steps and timed his pace to wait until he should be far away from the prison. She listened to see if any guards lingered in the dungeons and when she was sure all was quiet and she was left to herself, with a deep breath of air Khaana screamed.