Back to you - Genma Shiranui

Start from the beginning

"I should've known you were turning into an alcoholic", he says picking up the bottle and pouring himself what looked like half a shot and drinks it.

His face grimaces a little as the drink hits his throat. You turn your attention towards the telly again not taking notice of the man next to you. He turns it off and moves your lap so you now face him in one swift motion.

"What do you want?", you sigh and look at him.

"We need to talk", he says and sits closer to you.
"Okay", you say blankly.

"Well I heard you have been screaming my name while some other guy was fucking you?", he asks.

It doesn't hit you the right way and you almost flinch like you experienced physical hurt. Genma was raw, he was borderline crass sometimes. Well, rough around the edges if you say so and never sugar coated things. But that is exactly what you liked about him in the first place. Also, that exact quality reminded you of Asuma.

"Ughhh, why are you so fucked up", you think involuntarily.

"Is that true?", he asks again.

"Hardly your business, is it?", you question and start turning around again.

"True, it wasn't my business. But then a stranger came over to me at a bar and punched me in front of my friends and said I did him dirty by fucking with his date", he said looking at you with a straight face.

"He what now?", you almost shout at him.

"Yeah, I had to land him in the hospital, but that is not the point", he adds quickly, making sure you know that he didn't get beat up.

"Well, sorry about that, but guess you handled it well", you say meanly and slow clap.

"I am not here to flex, Y/N, we need to talk", he says holding your hands.

"It won't happen again, Gen, it happened only twice. Thrice actually but only two guys", you blurt without thinking.

He sighs, "I knew only about one, not the other."

"Well now you do", you huff.

"What is your problem, Y/N? Why don't you talk to me? What is going on?", he is clearly annoyed at the dry back and forth between you.

"Nothing is going on, okay? You don't have to care about me. I want to go sleep", you say and get up. He holds your wrist and pulls you towards him.

"No, you aren't going anywhere. Why would you think about me unless you were either missing me or wanted to fuck me?", he asks.

"I don't have the liberty to do either, so I am gonna pass", you say.

"You can do both but you don't allow yourself, I don't get what your problem is", the annoyance in his voice turns to a mix of pain and frustration now.

"You wouldn't understand, Gen, please let me go", you try removing yourself from his grasp but you are too drunk and he is too strong.

"I know you are hurting for Asuma, but it has been years now, okay? His daughter turned six, you idiot. His daughter.. that he had.. with someone else.. that wasn't you!!", he shouted pausing to make sure you are understanding what he is saying.

"I don't need another lecture from you. Like I said, it is none of your business and don't act like you care", you say again and walk towards your bedroom. Genma rubs his face trying to wipe off his anger and follows you inside.

"But I do care about you. And I want to be with you. And the only thing that is stopping me from being with you is you. Now, I wouldn't care if you didn't like me, but then you go and pretend these strangers are me? That hurts, Y/N. It really does. Here is a crazy idea. Instead of sleeping with someone else and pretending that person is me, why don't you just accept me and with me instead?", he says holding you close by your shoulders.

As much as an ass he was, this part was true, even you knew it. He loved you. He loved you when you were with him six years ago, and he has loved you ever since. You were finally getting over the fact that Asuma had chosen and will always choose Kurenai over you, you were finally ready to move on and fall in love with the man you had, the one who was ready to make you forget everyone else. But then Asuma died at the hands of the Akatsuki and a part of you died with him. You self sabotaged your relationship with Genma, with your friends and your life. You were all about missions, followed by the war but since then they have been on the decline. You knew Genma was right but you were scared. The first time you decided to be happy for yourself, you came back to this horrible news and now every time you think of being happy you are scared something bad will happen again.

"Aren't you tired of this? Don't you want more from life?", he asks you earnestly looking in your eyes, searching for an answer.

"I said I cannot do it, Genma, why won't you understand? Why are you wasting your life on me?", you almost scream, the lump in your throat making your voice crack.

"What are you so afraid of? I will be right here next to you, to deal with it". "You don't understand."

"Make me understand, then. Gosh, why the hell are you so stubborn?"

"Because I believe what I believe"

"So you are going to be miserable your whole life? And making everyone else miserable, too?"

You are now in tears. You sit on the bed hugging your feet and crying with your head on your knees.

"I didn't want anyone else to be miserable because of me, you all can live your lives, why do you come back all the time?", you sob barely audible. He sits close to you and hugs you tight, and for the first time you don't shrug him off.

"Yes, I am tired. I am tired of kissing strangers and pretending they are you, Gen. But I have been with these memories, his memories for so long. I have been holding on to my love for him for so long, that is all I have of him. If I let go of that, what will I have left? Who am I without it?", you sob in his chest.

He is angry, sad, frustrated but hopelessly in love with you, too, so he just hugs you tighter and lets you cry.

"Then you make new memories. You have a new life. You are stronger than this, Y/N", he says rubbing your back and patting your head while you cry.

"It is okay to be sad for him, but it is okay to be happy for yourself and move on. Even Kurenai has found her strength in Mirai, and here you are crying. He was your best friend, Y/N, he loved you even if he wasn't in love with you. And you know how careful he was to not make you cry, and here you are, crying over him for six years. How is it fair to anyone?", he says.

You sob harder in his chest holding his shirt tight in your fist.

"Let me get you some water", he says and picks you up bridal style and takes you to the kitchen. You are still clinging to his shirt. He brings you water and you drink it thirstily and he gets some more. You keep some for him from the second glass. He gives a faint smile and drinks it. Breathing deeply he looks at you.

"I am sorry", you say in a small voice.

"For everything", you add. He hugs you once again. The only things that seem to be working for you are his hugs, it is like nothing else matters when he hugs you.

You realize you had fallen in love with him a long long time ago, and it haunted you like an unsatisfied ghost. But here he was like a prayer that had been answered. He feels you smiling against his chest so he looks at you.

"Hey, what?", he asks a bit surprised rubbing your cheek with his thumb.

"Can you please kiss me, Genma?", you ask him softly looking up at him with your chin on his chest.

"My pleasure", he says and kisses you, a kiss full of love that you reciprocate for the first time in six years.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~