Uhtred gave his head a shake "they will be marching within days, Lord. I am sure of it." Uhtred said, his eye trained on the king. He did not come to speak to his men, and thus he could not hear Odda.

"how can you possibly be sure of it?The ground is sodden all around." Odda the younger spoke from his seat on a bench in the center of the room. He watched Uhtred as his if he were beneath him, it cause Brida's stomach to turn with an ill feeling. Uhtred looked to him with eye glinting from an unseen smirk before turning his attention back to the King alone.

"They have made sacrifices," Uhtred said, pulling free from his coat birds feet tied to some string, "ordinary warriors have caught birds,  Jackdaws and killed them." he said holding the feet up for all to see.  "this is only done in the days before battle, and they are hungry." Uhtred explained as if it had all been very simple.

Aethelred circled Uhtred while weighing his words carefully.

"Then, perhaps they have simply eaten these jackdaws." Odda the Younger reasoned.

"They have many hundreds of men and horses, with little supplies," Uhtred went on, turning to follow Aethelred as he circle, he refuses to lose his gaze "they will first seize a town rich in livestock and grain." Uhtred warned.

Khaana could feel Brida's hands pulling at her fur, it was almost enough to hurt, her arms trembled as she watched Uhtred with wide disbelieving eyes "calm yourself." Khaana warned her, "he is betraying the Danes." Brida thought back. Khaana gave a long sigh "we are no longer Danes until Ragnar returns and finds us. when He comes, this may change but for now we are no one." Khaana said to her mind. This though did little to ease Brida's nerves, in fact, it made things worse. Khaana hated to step on Brida's spirit, but it was a simple truth.

"I do not know the country well, but I have traveled. Thus I believe Abbendum is such a place," Uhtred added, Aethelred glanced at Brida reading the dismay on her face and stopped his pacing, looking Uhtred in the eye, worry now cause the king's brows to furrow. He and his men were unprepared to a battle so soon. "If you want to defeat the Danes you must meet them on the road to Abbendum." Uhtred advised.

"it will be within days, lord." Uhtred urged. The room for the moment fell silent as the King thought on what was said to him. Khaana watched around her for the reactions of the Kings court, many of them seemed at a lost, many more, seemed not to believe the pagans words.

"you went to Readingum alone?" Alfred questioned, Khaana cast her eyes to him in a dulled glance. "what are you playing at little man?" she thought to herself, eyes narrowing. He knew, he knew because Beocca informed him, so why question? Khaana had no trust for Alfred, and positioned herself closer to Uhtred, drawing Brida nearer with her.

Uhtred, watched Alfred with a long side stair before  nodding behind him, "With Brida." Uhtred said, But Alfred hardly blinked at his words "why alone?" he asked Uhtred. "why not?" Uhtred asked, holding his ground as Alfred stood before him still as stone and eyes watching him, reading Uhtred as if he'd been another book in his library. 

"Because for the larger part of your life, you have lived as a Dane, you look like a Dane, you can speak the language of a Dane,  Therefore I surmise, you can set a trap like a Dane." Alfred spoke with even unrushed words. Khaana glared at Alfred, both Brida and Uhtred could feel her anger spike.

"agreed, lord, they imagine us to be jackdaws." Odda the younger jumped in. Khaana's eyes zeroed in on him, and her head lowered "no, had we thought so, she would have eaten you already. She likes to crunch on jackdaws." Brida warned him. Odda the younger watch Khaana, his face paled a bit as he gulped but he managed to keep a straight face.