31: The Sorting Hat's mistake

Start from the beginning

Next thing I know, the slytherin team comes up to us and few shouts were exchanged, I had to shake off Colin so Ron and Hermione ran ahead, when I reached there I could hear Hermione's voice; "At least no one on the Gryffindor team had to buy their wayin," said Hermione sharply. "They got in on pure talent."The smug look on Malfoy's face flickered."No one asked your opinion, you filthy little Mudblood," hespat.

I froze. There was an outbreak all around me- Flint had to divein front of Malfoy to stop Fred and George jumping on him, Alicia shrieked, "How dare you!", and Ron plunged his hand into hisrobes, pulled out his wand, yelling, "You'll pay for that one, Malfoy!" and pointed it furiously under Flint's arm at Malfoy's face.- but I froze.

A loud bang echoed around the stadium and a jet of green lightshot out of the wrong end of Ron's wand, hitting him in the stomach and sending him reeling backward onto the grass. just beside my feet I dropped down, finally showing a reaction. "Ron!" I cried "Ron! Ron! Are you all right?" squealed Hermione.Ron opened his mouth to speak, but no words came out. Insteadhe gave an almighty belch and several slugs dribbled out of hismouth onto his lap.The Slytherin team were paralyzed with laughter. Flint was doubled up, hanging onto his new broomstick for support. Draco was staring at me, not laughing, as unresponsive as I had been a few seconds ago. 

 The Gryffindors weregathered around Ron, who kept belching large, glistening slugs.Nobody seemed to want to touch him."We'd better get him to Hagrid's, it's nearest," said Harry to me and Hermione, who nodded bravely, and the three of us pulled Ronup by the arms."What happened, Harry? What happened? Is he ill? But you cancure him Emma, can't you?" Colin had run down from his seat and wasnow dancing alongside them as they left the field. Ron gave a hugeheave and more slugs dribbled down his front."Oooh," said Colin, fascinated and raising his camera. "Can youhold him still, Harry?""Get out of the way, Colin!" I snarled.

 We supported Ron out of the stadium and across the groundstoward the edge of the forest."Nearly there, Ron," said Hermione as the gamekeeper's cabincame into view. "You'll be all right in a minute — almost there —" We were within twenty feet of Hagrid's house when the frontdoor opened, but it wasn't Hagrid who emerged. Gilderoy Lockhart, wearing robes of palest mauve today, came striding out."Quick, behind here," Harry hissed, dragging Ron behind anearby bush. Hermione followed, somewhat reluctantly. 

"It's a simple matter if you know what you're doing!" Lockhartwas saying loudly to Hagrid. "If you need help, you know where Iam! I'll let you have a copy of my book. I'm surprised you haven'talready got one — I'll sign one tonight and send it over. Well,good-bye!" And he strode away toward the castle.Harry and I waited until Lockhart was out of sight, then pulled Ronout of the bush and up to Hagrid's front door. We knocked urgently.Hagrid appeared at once, looking very grumpy, but his expression brightened when he saw who it was."Bin wonderin' when you'd come ter see me — come in, comein — thought you mighta bin Professor Lockhart back again —"Harry and Hermione and I supported Ron over the threshold into theone-roomed cabin, which had an enormous bed in one corner, afire crackling merrily in the other. Hagrid didn't seem perturbed byRon's slug problem, which Harry hastily explained as he loweredRon into a chair."Better out than in," he said cheerfully, plunking a large copperbasin in front of him. "Get 'em all up, Ron.""I don't think there's anything to do except wait for it to stop,"said Hermione anxiously, watching Ron bend over the basin."That's a difficult curse to work at the best of times, but with a broken wand —"Hagrid was bustling around making us tea. His boarhound,Fang, was slobbering over Harry."What did Lockhart want with you, Hagrid?" Harry asked,scratching Fang's ears.

 "Givin' me advice on gettin' kelpies out of a well," growled Hagrid, moving a half-plucked rooster off his scrubbed table andsetting down the teapot. "Like I don' know. An' bangin' on aboutsome banshee he banished. If one word of it was true, I'll eat mykettle."It was most unlike Hagrid to criticize a Hogwarts teacher, and I looked at him in surprise. Hermione, however, said in avoice somewhat higher than usual, "I think you're being a bit unfair. Professor Dumbledore obviously thought he was the best manfor the job —""He was the on'y man for the job," said Hagrid, offering us aplate of treacle toffee, while Ron coughed squelchily into his basin."An' I mean the on'y one. Gettin' very difficult ter find anyone ferthe Dark Arts job. People aren't too keen ter take it on, see. They'restartin' ter think it's jinxed. No one's lasted long fer a while now." "i think he's a fraud" I said bluntly, Hagrid's look said he agreed.  Sotell me," said Hagrid, jerking his head at Ron. "Who was he tryin'ter curse?"