Writing Tips from Ariel Carrera: how to get MORE!

Hi, guys, this is Ariel Carrera, writer of the Sold! Series which you enjoyed so much! For the support, I thank all of you. (Bows) so! In my two years of membership here in wattpad, I have read and was inspired by a lot of authors who have different writing styles and different communication method. I have also talked to a few of you who were asking for advice and I am always glad to help. Honestly. I answer to most of my messages. I know there are a lot of people here right now who are currently asking 'how can I write something too? How will I get readers?'. Well, the answer to that is: I don't know the definite idea to get your wattpad celebrity card. But I have some conclusions that I want to share with you that I have observed throughout. Some of you may now be saying 'you're almost a wattpad celebrity! How can you not share the secret?' That's because I wasn't here on purpose; my mini-celebrity card is actually an accident. Sold! Is just suppose to be a little sideline, something I made out because I was horny. And then, boom! It now has half a million reads and I have 600+ followers.

It was an accident. Swear.

Pushing that aside, Back to the topic: I'm not a real expert on things but I know a lot of authors, good or bad, and differentiate them to get the conclusion. Here are my basic tips and observations:

I. The Story(in the outside)

a. To veil it with mystery or not to veil?

- some, especially professional writers, decide to put it in a veil, meaning that it should be as mysterious as possible. For example, jk rowling's new book, the cuckoo is calling, is so mysterious I was actually planning on buying it. Why? Because I was curious on what she meant by that! Some famous writers here in wattpad says the same: Playing dead by littlecinnamon, At the Crossing by Nina Tippett and stuff. The more mysterious, the more alluring, I guess.

b. story covers

-believe it or not, this is a huge factor in getting reads. Believe me! The more HD the cover, the better. I use picsart for my photo editing. Some writers use adobe because they are experts like that. But since I suck at my computer subject, I stick to my iPad. Not everything works out, guys; put a title and the author on the front cover, please? It's a general rule. Besides, the more eye candy the cover is, the better. Believe me.

c. Descriptions

-now, we come to the most tricky part in the outside cover. I must say that I have observed three major formats:

1. With excerpts
- you know this format, this would be:

Ariel trembled at the sight of the dangerous flicker in his eyes as he approached her, slowly as if stalking a prey.

"Y-You can't hurt me," she said in a small whisper, clutching her iPad in her sweaty fingers.

A smile as lethal as a knife sliced in his face, spatula in hand. "You will be dinner tonight and you can never stop me."

With that, he lunged at her, spatula in hand and she screamed.

--------------------------- (dividers or large empty spaces are important in excerpts to avoid confusion)

Ariel Carrera is a woman with dreams to attend Harvard and be a doctor. Only, her plans were foiled as a mysterious man by the name of Ian Somerhalder kidnapped her and took her captive in his mansion. Passion, danger and lust swirled into a different emotion as she finds herself submerged into his own devious plans. The question is, will she able to take it? Or will she die trying to end it?

Stop! So there! A carefully arranged (yet still amateurish) written plot in to lure unsuspecting readers in. Yes? No? It's a replica, you guys. The thing is the excerpt should be one of the most eye catching scene in the book (don't put the most eye catching!). With that thought, most of the writers in wattpad that I have observed so far (a total of more than 800 books that I've maintained in my library and deleted) have used this format. It's easier too, I guess.