Chapter 14: The Heart Wants What the Heart Wants

Start from the beginning

And it bore through, not causing a crack on the ice.

I watched open mouthed as he grinned at me again. "Like what you see?"

"That was amazing," I said breathless as I walked to him in which he put a hand in front if me, stopping my actions.

"Don't come too near," he said, looking serious. "The ice might break. You are, after all, fat."

Jerk! I pouted at him and realized that he's joking so I continued to approach him. He didn't say anything as he opened the leather case and pulled out a fishing pole and gave me one. I took the pole and stared at it. It was made of the finest wood and very strong materials that made me think that it shouldn't be used and should be left behind glass.

I sat at the small stool he bought and put a worm on the end of the line before plunging it on the water. Calvin did the same and we both sat there in silence.

"My father and I used to do this," he tarted, breaking the silence. I snapped my head at his and saw him staring at the finishing line. "It just stopped when he was gone."

"He sounds like fun," I muttered as I blew on my well covered hands.

He smiled. "Yes, he is. This is the first time I've done it without him though."

My heart skipped a bit. "Why haven't you?" I asked, my attention now solely into him and completely ignoring my fishing.

He hesitated for a bit. "Well, I haven't seen a good enough partner to do it with."

I blushed at the thought. Does he sees me as a good enough partner then? I smiled at that and he rolled his eyes at me. "I brought you so you could carry my catch. Don't feel smug about it."

"Uh-huh," I said trying to look convincing but I knew that he's probably just shy enough to admit it. After all, Calvin is prideful.

"Calvin?"

"Mm-mm?" He asked as he looked up to me.

"Thanks for bringing me here."

We stared at each other for a while and I couldn't help but to give him my brightest smile. Yup, I definitely wish it was just like this everyday, just me and him together.

"Whatever," he said and continued staring down at the water.

My line tugged down and I gave a small shout of surprise as I realized I have a catch. Calvin stood up and latched his pole between the stool and the cooler before moving near me and looked down at the frigid water. "Pull it up!" He said, equally excited as I was.

I tired pulling it up and my boots often sliding on the ice. It wasn't that big of a fish depending on he he pull but excitement is clouding my mind more than the focus; Calvin grabbed my hand and pulled it up easily, revealing a mackerel flopping as the hook imbedded on its palate ensured my catch.

"I did it!" I said loudly as I showed Calvin my catch. He frowned at the fish but gave me a wistful smile. "Beginner's luck, Holly," he said in a singsong voice and I pouted at him.

"I bet I could catch more fish than you," I said jokingly as he stopped in his tracks and turned to face me. He raised his eyebrows and gave a smirk.

"Are you seriously challenging me?"

I nodded at him as I put the fish on the cooler. "Yup, how about that?"

Calvin took his fishing pole and returned the line in the water. "Oh it's on then," he said as I sat on my stool and begun fishing again, silently humming a tune under my breath.