Entering with far less apprehension than she had the night before, she strode across the lobby and approached the orderly at the admissions desk.

She saw with some relief that the desk was manned by the same pudgy gent she had met the previous night. That should simplify matters.

"Good evening. I'm here to see Dr. Reed, please," she said.

The orderly, harrassed by the mounds of paperwork he was sifting through, barely gave her a glance. "Just missed him, love. He went out to West End, 'bout an hour ago. House call, or the like."

Lucy's face fell a fraction. "Do you know when he will return?"

"Can't say, love," the orderly said. "Depends on the condition of the patient, I s'pose."

"Did he happen to mention where in West End?" Lucy asked.

The orderly thought for a moment, tapping his rounded chin with a chubby finger. "Matter 'a fact, he did. 'Round the corner from Drury Lane, he said. I know, 'cause I joked with him that it was too late fer'a show."

"I see. Thank you."

Retreating back outside, Lucy sighed. What should she do? She could wait. Or she could walk in the direction of West End on the off-chance she could intercept Dr. Reed on his return journey. He had likely taken the route along the River Thames; it was fairly direct and well-lit. Once she was close enough, she would be able to pick up his scent and lack of heartbeat.

Deciding that was the best choice of recourse, she began a swift trot in the direction of West End.

She felt a twinge in her stomach that had nothing to do with nerves. She realized with some dismay that, in her excitement to see the doctor again, she had completely forgotten to feed.

She dipped her hand into her pocket for the vial of blood capsules, but the pocket was empty. The vial remained in last night's gown.

She pushed her worry away. It didn't matter at the moment. Her hunger was not severe.

Besides, she was in control.

The temperature had dropped considerably since the previous night; enough to unleash a staggering chill in the air. Not a single snowflake fell, but Lucy's breath came out in a white cloud each time she exhaled. She found it amusing to see the frigid plume she could produce, and continuously tried to create one larger than those she had before.

As she walked, Lucy tested her vampiric senses. She could hear, see, and smell things her mortal self would never have noticed. Periodic beggars roamed the streets, scavenging for anything edible or supplying warmth. From a second story window, she heard an infant's cry. A cat hissed from beneath an empty fruit stand.

Then Lucy's nose and ears fixated on one of her own kind. Still a short distance off, but with no attempt to hide his presence, Lucy could hear the steady pace of footfalls but lack of heartbeat, and smell a fragrant mixture of herbs, soap, and rosemary...

Dr. Reed.

She was getting close. Would he be happy to see her? The dancing butterflies in her stomach returned, causing her to quicken her pace.

Until her body was brought to an abrupt halt by a particularly pungent odor.

Lucy's head snapped up and she whirled around in an effort to find the source of the assaulting smell. Through the gray haze, she saw a man stumble out from an alley, his clothing dirty and tattered. Bumbling about, he could barely stay on his feet. After several failed attempts to walk in a straight line, he slid to the ground, back against the nearest wall, one hand splayed across his midsection.