XXII - A New Life

"You are worth fighting for, and I will fight for us everyday, anytime, always, and forever." - Georgy

It was eight in the morning when Natasha was brought into Steve's room. Steve had never felt so relieved to see her again. It was such a powerful moment to see her, and to realize that he wouldn't be able to go on without her. That he wouldn't be able to live a life without her.

He couldn't wait for her to open her eyes. Even if he knew it would only be in a couple of hours, or maybe even tomorrow. He just couldn't wait to tell her, to remember her that he loved her so very much and that he would be here for her no matter what.

When she woke up two days later, it was really hard for Steve to witness so much pain in her body, and her eyes. He saw her trying to reach out for help, trying to speak and to say what was wrong, but she simply couldn't. It was like she couldn't breathe. She was panicking, and it was hard for Steve to see.

But then she naturally calmed down as soon as she saw him. When she saw his baby blue eyes, when she laid her eyes on him, she knew she wasn't alone anymore. She knew Steve would be here with her in every moment of her life. Even the hardest ones like this one.

When the doctors completely calmed her down, Steve was able to approach her, and as soon as he did, Natasha's eyes were filled with tears. She was crying, and he could feel that she was releasing the pressure she had felt when she woke up.

But he was here with her now, he could even cry with her if she wanted to. He was just so relieved to see that they were both alive and that both of them would be doing just fine. And the fact that their baby was alive too was just incredible. But Natasha had no idea about the pregnancy yet, and Steve couldn't wait for her to know about it. He couldn't wait.

"You're okay ?" Natasha spoke for the first time, with a very raspy voice.

And as she did, Steve was now the one crying. As he realized that he was lucky to hear her voice again, and for as long as he can. And forever if he could. Because she was here now, and this was what matters the most to him.

"I'm okay. I'm doing okay Nat. I'm just so grateful that you're here. So grateful, you have no idea. I love you so much. So so much." Steve answered, smiling with some tears coming down from his eyes.

"I love you too Steven." She replied, smiling back at him with the tears in her eyes as well. "What happened ? Are you sure you're okay ? You're crying." She chuckled with a little smile.

"I'm okay baby, it was just a very hard time, but you're here now. And it's all it matters. Do you remember anything of what happened ? How are you feeling ?" Steve said, caressing her face with so much love. The love that was just so beautiful to witness.

"I'm feeling okay. My body hurts a little bit everywhere, and I feel like my head is being banged against a wall, but I feel pretty much okay." Natasha told him, looking back at his baby blue eyes. "I don't really remember what happened. I only remember having a hard time to breath, and you crying."

Listening to her answer, Steve was panicking. If she didn't remember the car accident, then maybe she also forgot about her birthday and his proposal. He had to make sure. "You don't remember anything else about last night ? Where we went and what day it was ?"

Natasha was thinking as best as she could. What could have possibly been yesterday ? She remembered it was her birthday for sure, and Steve taking her to this beautiful little lake, their favorite place. But what else ?

"You proposed ? It wasn't a dream, right ?" She asked him, not sure about the reality of her words.

Steve was relieved to his those words coming from her. "I did yes. And you said yes, and that you couldn't wait for us to be married." He answered, smiling from ear to ear. A large smile on Natasha's face could be seen at that moment. A face that Steve kissed for the first time since the accident.