XVII - Surprising You

"The best love is the kind that awakens the soul. That makes us reach for more, that plants the fire in our hearts and brings peace to our minds. That's what I hope to give you forever." - The Notebook

It was ten in the morning when Steve made himself at home in Natasha's apartment. It was a very sunny day outside. Spring could finally be seen through the beautiful color of the leaves in the trees.

Since Natasha was now supposed to be at work this morning, Steve thought it would be a good time to organize the little surprise he had for her.

It had been a year since they had been in each other's life. A full year of excitement, growth, and love. And it was just the beginning of it. They both knew it.

There had been some little arguments and disagreements in their way, like in every relationship, but they never let them distancing themselves from each other. It had made their relationship stronger.

If Steve had to look back in time and recall his favorites memories with Natasha, it would definitely be the official beginning of their relationship, Natasha's birthday, the first time he made love to her, and all the other times after that, and Christmas.

Their first Christmas together. Seven months after first meeting each other, five months after the beginning of their relationship. It had been a very special moment for both of them.

He still remembered on this day, the look on Natasha's face when she opened her present when they were in his townhouse just the two of them. And the way she had thrown herself in his arms, thanking him for everything he did for her, had been an amazing moment.

Steve had been in touch with Nick Fury, Natasha's foster dad, to find the present he was looking for. When Natasha had been talking about her parents long ago, and hearing how she didn't remember them, gave Steve an idea for a present.

He had been in touch with Nick to know if he still had her file from the orphanage, bringing a smile to his face when Nick's answer had been positive.

From there, Steve had worked really hard with two of his friends, Tony Stark and Bruce Banner, to find her birth certificate. Even if she had been rescued by the Red Room when she was only two years old, her birth certificate still could be found somewhere.

Once they did after some time, and once Steve had the name of her parents, the three of them looked in every database to find any pieces of information about them.

"Hey cap, I think I found what we're looking for." Steve heard Tony said. "And if I'm not mistaking, this is your little red over here."

Looking over Tony's shoulder, Steve could see a family picture. A young woman looking just like Natasha as of right now, a young man he assumed was her father, and a little girl. Her beautiful red hair, her bright green eyes and her smiling face quickly told him that it was his Natasha.

He had made sure to frame this beautiful picture, and to hide it from her until Christmas. All of his hard work had been worth it when seeing the look on her face.

It was the first time Natasha was seeing a picture of her parents. She hadn't been sure at first, but then she recognized herself as the little girl in the picture, and then she understood who was in the picture with her. She couldn't more thankful for Steve.

Tossing the key of Natasha's apartment on her kitchen table, Steve noticed Natasha's purse on one of the stool, her keys and her phone close by as well. Which was weird since she was supposed to be at work right now.

"Nat ?" He decided to call her. But no answers came to him. It was really strange. "Nat ?" He decided to try again. But still no answer. Realizing the situation was abnormal, Steve went to look around in her apartment.