XX - Please Hang On For Me

"When you find that one person who connects you to the world, you become someone different, someone better. But when that person is taken away from you, what do you become ?" - John Reese

Everything hurt. Everything. What had happened ? Why was it so hard to breathe ? Steve didn't know. And why was he lying in the middle of the road ? What was happening ?

God, he just remembered. He was driving home when he got hit by a car on the passenger side. The passenger side. God, Natasha. Where was Natasha ? He tried to scream her name, he tried but nothing was coming out. He couldn't hear anything. He just couldn't.

God, why was everything so dark ? Why was everything so quiet and loud at the same time ? Where was Natasha ? Steve needed to focus. And to focus hard. He needed to find her. He had to.

Taking deep breaths to calm himself down, Steve could see a little bit better. He could feel and see his surroundings. And it wasn't pretty. It wasn't pretty at all. And why was Natasha not here ? Where was she ?

He was lying on his back in the middle of the road, the back of his head hurt so much. But nothing was comparable to the pain of not having Natasha close to him, of not seeing her close to him.

What if she didn't make it ? What if she was gone already ? No, he couldn't think this way. She had to be alive. She had to. He needed her to be.

Sitting up, he could see lights coming from a car. And it looked like the car was flipped over. Why though ? Why was there a car flipped over like that ? And why does the car looked like his car ? All of this situation was really strange. Was he dreaming ?

Oh god, the car flipped over, it was his car. The one he was driving when the accident happened. The one where Natasha almost fell asleep on his shoulder when all of this happened. Natasha. Maybe she was still in the car. God.

Standing up as quickly as he could, Steve started to run towards the car as fast as possible, despite feeling intense pain in his right leg and the amount of blood coming down from his forehead.

"Natasha!" He heard himself screaming. "Natasha!" He screamed again. And again. And again. God, why was the car so far away from him ? Why was it taking so long to get there ?

After screaming her name over and over again, and walking as fast as he could on his injured leg, he couldn't hold a gasp at the scene in front of him. In front of him, was something he had wished so many times not to see. Not to be real.

His car was flipped over, all the windows and windshield had been smashed into pieces. The passenger side wasn't even existent anymore. God, no. The car was empty. Natasha wasn't inside. She wasn't here. Where could she be ?

This had to be a joke. Steve would wake up from this terrible nightmare and she would be here with him, her head laying on his chest, like every morning. Steve just needed to wake up. He just needed to wake up and she would be here. She would be here with him.

Wait! What was that ? What was this noise he just heard ? Where was this coming from ?

"Natasha!" He screamed again. But this time, he could hear it better. The sound he was hearing, it was her. "Natasha!" He tried again, moving around the car. Oh god. No no no. Please no.

"Natasha ..." He whispered, his eyes crying instantly as he saw her. God please no. Don't take her away from me. Please I'm begging you. Let her stay with me.