15 | Fight or Flight

Start from the beginning

After minutes of constant climbing, maybe even an hour, I reach the top of the mountain. The girl from 2 and the tributes from 4 are there. The tributes from 1 seemed to have ran away. I close my eyes and take in a breath, trying to calm my rage. They haven't seen me yet, and I will use that to my advantage.

I grip the trident tighter in my hand wondering if I wanted to throw a knife first of the trident. The girl from 2 stands up and walks away from the other two, this was my chance. I watch as she walks over to the back of the mountain and picks up some of the food that they stole from us. Without even thinking I chunk the trident at her hitting her hand. The trident takes her hand off and she screams out catching the attention of the others.

They quickly stand up and rush over to her. Ash pulls the tridents out of the ground and looks around for someone that could have thrown it. I hid beneath a tree that is rooted on the side of the mountain. A perfect cover.

They all split up taking different sides of the mountain. I smile, this is perfect. The girl from 4 walks over to me, but she still hasn't spotted me. I steady my breathing not wanting her to hear it and then I jump out and tackle her. The snow muffles the sound and we tumble down the mountain a little. She looks at me wide-eyed, not expecting me. I pull out my knife and see her weapon laying on the ground a couple of feet away. She must have dropped it when I tackled her. I swipe the knife at her but she raises her arm up to block it. I cut slices into her arm and her blood drips down into the white snow staining it red.

She crawls towards her weapon and knowing that I shouldn't let her get that advantage I make a quick and risky decision. I throw the knife at her, it flies by her head and lands in the snow beside her. She turns around and laughs at me instead of grabbing her weapon. I take out the other knife and throw it hitting her in the chest. She looks at me in shock, not expecting me to have a second knife or to actually hit her. She stares at me and then down to the knife in her chest as she coughs up blood. A cannon sounds a few moments later.

I reach out and retrieve my knives before I climb back up to the top of the mountain, not even caring this time if they seem me. The girl from 2 is probably losing a lot of blood so that only leaves Ash in good shape. Stepping onto the top I throw the knife at the girl hitting her in the shoulder as she sat down leaning against one of the trees that were on top of the mountain. She winces and then glances up at me, her eyes widen in horror. Not giving her a chance to get Ash's attention I ready the other knife in my hands. I take my stance and line the blade of the knife up with where I want it to hit her heart. Then I throw it and it strikes her where I wanted it to, the cannon sounds a moment later.

I hear Ash running back and I pick up a spear that was on the ground. I don't know if it was his weapons or if it was the tributes from 1, either way, it's mine now. When he sees me he stops in his tracks, "How are you alive?"

I smile at his shock, "Well, you see when you throw someone off of a cliff make sure there isn't snow below that can cushion the fall." I tell him as I grip the spear tighter in my hands. I raise it up and debate on whether I should throw it now.

"Well, I'll just have to do a better job this time." He says as he picks up the trident that I threw at the girl from 2. "I'll make sure that you stay dead."

He throws the trident at me and I dodge, rolling onto the ground to avoid it. The snow is cold but I have grown numb to it. I fling a knife at him grazing his arm. The spear is steady in my hand, I don't want to throw it. If I miss then I will lose my advantage and my only opportunity to defeat him.

He steps closer to me which is what I want, he lost his trident, he threw it and missed and I won't give him enough time to retrieve it. He runs at me and throws me onto the ground, pinning me down. I keep a death grip on the spear, knowing that it will make the difference between life and death. I point it up towards him and hope that the point of it will draw him away. He leans away from the spear loosening his grip on me and I throw him off of me. I pin him down, point the spear down at him. "Listen, next time you try to kill someone, make sure they are dead." I press the head of the spear into his chest and he cries out in pain, "Because they might come back for revenge." I say before I fully push the spear into his chest. The cannon sounds and I sit down and take a breath.