9 | Interview

┌───── · ° ➶ ✧ ➶ ° · ─────┐
Chapter Nine
INTERVIEW
└───── · ° ➶ ✧ ➶ ° · ─────┘

┌───── · ° ➶ ✧ ➶ ° · ─────┐Chapter NineINTERVIEW └───── · ° ➶ ✧ ➶ ° · ─────┘

───── · ° ➶ ✧ ➶ ° · ─────

Today is the day that we get prepared for the interviews. Willow tells me that each of us will have four hours with Mica for presentation and four hours with her and Nolan for content. She tells me that I will start with Mica while Monty starts with Nolan.

I can't imagine what Mica will have to teach me that could take four hours, but she's got me working down to the last minute. We go to my room and she puts me in a full-length gown and high heeled shoes, not the ones I'll be wearing for the actual interview, and instructs me on walking. The shoes are the worst part. I've never worn high heels and can't get used to essentially wobbling around on the balls of my feet. But Mica runs around in them full-time, and I'm determined that if she can do it, so can I.

The dress poses another problem. It keeps tangling around my shoes so, of course, I hitch it up, and then Mica swoops down on me like a hawk, smacking my hand and yelling, "Not above the ankle!" When I finally conquer walking, there's still sitting, posture 𑁋 apparently I have a tendency to duck my head 𑁋 eye contact, hand gestures, and smiling. Smiling is mostly about smiling more. Mica makes me say a hundred banal phrases starting with a smile, while smiling, or ending with a smile. By lunch, the muscles in my cheeks are twitching from overuse.

"Well, that's the best I can do," Mica says with a sigh. "Just remember, Ember, you want the audience to like you."

"And you don't think they will?" I ask.

"Not if you glare at them the entire time. Why don't you save that for the arena? Instead, think of yourself among friends." says Mica.

"They're not my friends!"

"Well, try and pretend!" snaps Mica. Then she composes herself and beams at me. "See, like this. I'm smiling at you even though you're aggravating me."

"Yes, it feels very convincing," I say. "I'm going to eat." I kick off my heels and stomp down to the dining room, hiking my skirt up to my thighs.

Monty and Nolan and Willow seem in pretty good moods, so I'm thinking the content session should be an improvement over the morning. I couldn't be more wrong. After lunch, Willow takes me into the sitting room, directs me to the couch, and then just frowns at me for a while.

"What?" I finally ask.

"I'm trying to figure out what to do with you," she says. "How we're going to present you. Are you going to be charming? Aloof? Fierce? So far, you're shining like a star. Teak made you look unforgettable and you got a pretty decent score. People are intrigued, but no one knows who you are. The impression you make tomorrow will decide exactly what I can get you in terms of sponsors," says Willow.