Fourth Dictator

President Freeman was born during Hitler’s invasion of our country. The Nazi occupation marked the first four years of his life. His parents divorced after the war and both committed suicide a couple a years from each other. His father was a priest and his mother was an ardent supporter of the Communist party, a party that promoted atheism and suppressed religions. Freeman eventually joined the party too and his father was left as the lone member of the family that believed in God.

Freeman stopped talking to his father entirely after he graduated from high school. His father felt shame that he believed when most of the country didn’t, that his wife and son didn’t believe when he so passionately did. Freeman’s mother took her life less than a year later. She felt ashamed that she was married to a priest who was so religious that he sacrificed himself to make a political statement about the lack of freedom of faith in his country.

He wanted attention when his parents abandoned him and nothing grants more attention than being an undisputed ruler of a country. He needed infamy, power, and money because of his insecurities but why didn’t he instead become depressed after his parents suicides and committed one himself? He could’ve saved us all a lot of trouble.

President Freeman started his career as a banker but got into the political world with the help of his long time friend, Comrade Stam, who pulled strings and called in favours to get him a diplomatic position in the Communist Party. Stam eventually became the leader of the Party while Freeman made headway and began gaining popularity due to his aggressive and argumentative attitude towards the internal issues the country was facing. His tough stand on separatists started gaining popularity. He gave a historic speech where he promised that there would be “no more infighting and that nobody is going anywhere, we are all staying together”.

Freeman gradually gained many supporters in the party and was able to mobilize them to exert pressure on Stam to step down and relinquish his position to his apprentice. Stam summoned Freeman to his office to have an eye to eye discussion.

“Sit down my friend,” Stam said. “Would you like a drink?”

“No thank you,” Freeman responded.

“So what is happening friend? Why are party officials harassing me daily about calling an early election for the position I hold, a position I worked hard for, waited years to get to.”

“It is the will of the party members. If they want it then you should respect their wishes and call the elections for you post.”

“And you have nothing to do with it? Because the only name I hear about is yours as my potential rival. This makes me think that you are asking them to pressure me daily because you promised them god knows what once you become the president of the party.”

“A significant number of party members like my approach and where I stand on the important issues that our country faces,” Freeman leaned back and looked straight at his mentor’s eyes. “They feel that you are out of touch and too old school. You are not prepared to face the challenges that will soon arise.”

“I doubt that number is even close to a quarter of the party members. There is no significant reason to call the election now,” he swung the whiskey down this throat. “They will have to wait until my term expires to cast their votes against me.”

“You should call the election if you are so confident about those numbers,” Freeman smirked.

“It’s not going to happen,” Stam shook his head. “You’re going to wait for you turn just like I did. You’re getting ahead of yourself Freeman.”