xi. Collision

I called my mother that night, crying to her about my problems, when she insisted on taking me out. How could I reject her? I knew that I needed it as well. A day to just relax and be with my mom was the perfect remedy to a confused heart. That is how it goes, right?

Usually I would talk to Drew about my problems, but I felt Mom would be the most appropriate person since she was a female and knew exactly how I was feeling. Most boys aren't usually as sensitive as me, and I knew Drew would kind of just sit there and look at me like I was alien.

I dressed in a white, flowing dress because Mom loved me in dresses. I was never too fond of them, but anytime I saw her, I would wear one because it was nice to feel pretty every once in awhile. It was honestly one of the prettiest I'd owned; it was a little longer than knee-length and had a yellow-flowered belt across my middle. I wore a pair of plain white flats with it, too. I knew she would adore it.

I heard a knock on my apartment door and rushed to get it, practically tripped over my own feet on the way. I opened the door to see my mother and Summer following close behind her. They both smiled, teeth showing and all, at me and enveloped me in a warm hug.

"Mom, Summer! I missed you guys so much." I smiled widely as we hugged. I pulled away and shouted to Drew who was probably fixing his hair, "The girls are here, DrewBear!"

"Oh, honey, do you still call him that? He hates that, you know." Mom scolded me; she always took Drew's side in our small and/or big arguments. It was just her motherly instincts and Drew was "her only boy, so she had to protect him."

"Yes, Momma-Eve, she does." Drew's sassy voice came from behind me, slightly startling me. I turned around to give him the stink eye, but he had already stepped in front of me to give my mom a hug and kiss. Summer stood there awkwardly; she never knew what to do with Drew because he was gay. It wasn't that she was against it, it was just that she didn't know how to act around him. Before she knew that he was, she was the same way; Summer was uncomfortable around boys of all sorts, especially Drew.

"Summer get over here and give me a hug!" Drew said sweetly. Summer looked down, rather embarrassed, and walked over to him and gave him a friendly hug. It usually came down to DrewBear making the first move. You'd think that after sixteen years of knowing each other they'd be more relaxed. That was just my sister; she was like me when it came down to trusting people. Bless her heart because it was difficult to be like that.

Summer had a lot of friends, but she only truly bonded with one of them. Her name is Lucy. She was outgoing and loud, kind of like Drew. She was Summer's polar opposite. Nowadays, shy and awkward were cute and everybody wanted to get to know you, but why would someone find that so cute. It was just embarrassing for the awkward person. I found it weird how similar Summer and I were, aside from her rebellion towards my mom.

It wasn't a big deal, I just never went through that stage.

"Oh, Wynter, how I just love that dress on you, dear!" Mother swooned over my dress. I knew she'd love it and I was quite proud of myself for choosing so wisely.

"Thank you, Mom. I really like it, too." I said back shyly. She smiled at me thoughtfully and I gave her a small smile back. I knew she wanted to talk about what had happened with Reese right away because I didn't give her much information the night before.

Drew and Summer were going to go shopping for some summer clothes and bond a little, while my mother and I would go to her favorite spa and go out to eat. I was rather excited for all of that.

* * *

"So tell me what happened, Wynter." Mom and I were laying down with mud masks and cucumbers over our eyes; it was such an odd but relaxing feeling. I was surprised that she didn't try to get answers out of me the first moment we were alone.

"H-he just was really nice to me and would do all the things you see in the movies and romance novels and wrote me a note that confessed his love to me and I just got really scared and started to doubt everything I ever felt for him ever and left." I rambled.

I heard her raise her head in astonishment. "And you just left him there? Why?" Mom's voice became high pitched.

"I got scared—"

"Love is supposed to scare you, dear, but you're not supposed to run from it! Oh, Wynter, oh. You probably broke that poor boy's heart!" She was clearly frustrated with me. "If it didn't scare you, that would be the time to worry."

I groaned, "Mom, stop. I already feel terrible!"

"Well, good. That boy poured his heart out to you! You know how many people, let alone boys, do that nowadays? Not many."

"I know, I screwed up." I sighed. Mom always seemed to know exactly what to say to get me to realize my mistakes. It's been that way for as long as I can remember.

"I think that's somewhat of an understatement." My mom could be so sassy sometimes. It got on my nerves.

"I'll call him later, okay—" Just then, my cell phone started to ring. I took off one of the cucumbers so I could read the caller. Reese, it read. "Mom, it's Reese." I stated as I started to panic .

"Answer it! Do it! The words will come to you." she reassured.

I hesitantly tapped the accept button and put the phone to my left ear, "Hello?"

The deep voice on the other end was not Reese's. "Hello, Wynter I presume?" the man sniffled, had he been crying?

"Yes?" I started to become worried.

"You are the friend of my son, Reese, correct?" Reese's father?

"Um, yeah, why? Is something wrong?" I glanced over to Mom and she had both cucumbers off of her eyes and was now sitting up like I was. This was really starting to worry me.

"Reese has been in a terrible accident," he sniffled again, "We, my wife and I, would like for you to come visit him just in case." Just in case?

I was absolutely speechless. An accident? "O-of course, sir. Where are you?" He told me the hospital and then hung up. Reese had been in an accident.

"M-mom. . . Oh my god." I started to cry.

"Wynter, baby, what's wrong? Talk to me!" my mother tried to get me to tell her, but I just couldn't . Sh got up from her spot and held me.

"H-he…"

"Sh, it'll be okay." She hugged me and took me to get cleaned up.

"Mom, he was in a wreck," I finally managed to get out. In that moment, everything went numb.