ix. Feelings - 2/2

Reese and I sat down in a booth by the large windows; the pink and orange sunset seemed to hit the table perfectly. I felt like I was in a movie, just stealing glances at him every-so-often just to see him stealing glances right back. I guess it was only fair, right?

"So, I have something to tell you—" we said in unison. I looked down blushing and laughed a little bit at my own awkwardness. My fingers were fumbling and I was terrified at what he wanted to say to me.

Did he want to confess that he was only doing this because of a stupid dare or bet? Or that maybe he never wanted to see me again? No, that's ridiculous. Reese is a good friend.

Just a friend. This was a bad idea.

"You can go first—no, no, you can—" We kept doing that, but then Reese grabbed a napkin and pulled a pen from his pocket. Did he just keep pens in his pocket? I wondered. Why I was wondering that out of all things, I'm unsure; it just puzzled me.

He started to write down things and I tried look, but he just swatted me away and put his free arm around the napkin, preventing me from seeing like we were in Elementary school and I was trying to cheat off of his test. I sat back in my seat and the waitress came to take our order; she looked in her mid-fifties and had a genuine smile on as she walked over.

"Good afternoon, sweethearts. I'm Linda, I'll be taking your order today. What'll it be?" She smiled and looked between the two of us. Reese quickly put the napkin aside so I couldn't see it, and I pouted at him; he just smirked at me and looked to the waitress.

"I'll have an iced tea." He looked to me signalling for me to tell her what I wanted. I was not good at this whole date thing because I just kept staring at him. I felt weird. "She'll have one, too." Reese laughed at me causing me to blush. It was odd because I was, infact, going to order an iced tea.

"Okay, love birds. I'll be back in a jiffy to take your order." Linda smirked at us. I buried my red hot face in my hands and mentally facepalmed. Reese was laughing to himself quietly.

"Shut up, Reese. I get nervous okay?" I rubbed my temples. I was an idiot.

"You're so cute." he laughed and I froze. Cute? I just stayed covering my face because now, I was smiling like a total idiot.

"T-thanks, you're eyes are pretty." I mumbled. I knew I shouldn't have replied, but I'm an idiot and I do things like that a lot. He laughed again and just smiled and continued with his secret note.

I just wanted to tell him how I felt and get it over with, but I was so nervous that all I could do was sit there and twiddle my thumbs in fear of breaking or knocking over something. There was also the fear of accidentally saying something stupid like I had earlier even though his eyes were indeed pretty; he didn't need to know I thought that.

I was feeling very awkward, but I didn't want to bring out my phone because that'd be rude on a date. Was this a date? Had Reese thought of it like that?I decided to look at the menu the waitress gave to me, and saw their pancake specials. I knew what I was getting.

Linda came back with two iced teas and I smiled gratefully. Reese and I took a drink at the same time and he got back to his napkin. I just wanted to know what he was doing. Doodling because I was so boring? That's what I'd be doing if I were stuck on this not-date with me.

Linda smiled at me and winked, causing me to look down and smile. "Are you ready to order, dear?" I nodded and Reese stopped writing and to nod as well.

"I'll take your blueberry pancake special." I said with confidence, only to shrink back down after.

"Oh, she speaks," she laughed wholeheartedly, "would you like whipped cream on them?" I nodded. "And do you prefer bacon or sausage?"