Chapter Four

Chapter Four - Foreign Familiarity

People fear the unknown. Because people fear what they don’t understand.

It is the greatest fear of all.

I didn’t understand it at first. Because in the first place, why would you even think of something that you don’t know? If you don’t think about it, then there’s no way that you’d be scared. It’s that easy.

That’s what I thought.

But now, having the unknown right here in front of me scares me. So much.

That I realized there was no way to not think about the unknown.

Because if you don’t, it will haunt you.

Until you have no choice but to think about it.

“Ms. Shimizu!” The teacher’s loud voice made Kotone jump from her seat.

She removed her headphones and observed the whole classroom. It seems like everyone else was greeting the teacher except for her.

And God, how she hated being the center of attention.

She bowed her head apologetically. “I’m sorry and good morning, Professor.”

“Thank you. But the next time you zone out again, you’ll go to detention, okay? Everyone, sit down.”

Kotone hid her hands under her desk as she sat down. She pinched her arm hard to snap herself out of her thoughts.

The things that happened during breakfast still haven’t left her mind. She has too many questions. And she wants answers. Why did her soft-spoken mother lost her cool? Why did her serious father had a scared and worried look on his face? Why do they dislike the idea of her learning music that much?

I don’t understand at all.

And it scares her that she doesn’t know anything.

The day passed by quickly and it was now time to go home. And that scared Kotone. She doesn’t want to go home and see her parents. She doesn’t want to sit there in awkwardness during dinner. She just wants answers.

“Welcome home, young lady.” Kotone ignored the greetings she received and just proceeded to go straight to her room. She shut the door behind her and locked it.

Kotone always has a serious face on, if not, an annoyed look on her face. It has always been like that. But now, another emotion could be seen on her face.

It was a quiet and cold night. And Kotone hated it so much for it resonated with this heavy feeling in her heart.

This was the first time she’s ever felt like this.

But why...

Why does it pains her so much?

And as if making fun of her even more, a strange sound filled her ears and she bit her lip in annoyance. Rain on a cold night? Just her luck.

The sound of the raindrops meeting the roof of their mansion filled the air and she unconsciously let out a shaky breath.

She wants the rain to stop. She wants the annoying sound of the raindrops to stop.

But her eyes betrayed her for her cheeks continued to be wet.

And her mouth continued to let out sobs.

She hates it. She hates it so much.

Why am I even crying? Hindi lang naman sila pumayag na maghire ng tutor. That’s it. Hindi ko kailangang umiyak.

But that’s not the case.

Something about her parents telling her no makes her want to scream, cry and cower away in fear.

It was a strange feeling. And it was the first time she’s ever felt this. 

Loneliness and fear.

But something about this foreign feeling seems so familiar.

Like she already experienced such feeling countless of times before despite experiencing it only now.

It doesn’t make sense and that confuses her.

She was confused. So confused that it made her cry even harder.

While hoping for the rain to stop and the cold night to end.

And this familiar foreign feeling to go away.

- Chapter end.

--

Author's Note:

Next chapters will be longer since the last chapters focused on Kotone, her family and their emotions. And to tell you honestly, these short chapters are the important ones haha. Thank you for reading and don't forget to vote, comment and share!