Blaise hooked up with Shawn without breaking things off with Marco and I tried to explain to her that it was a bad idea while Katherine shushed me unhelpfully. Melissa and Brittney threw down verbally in a shopping mall, after which Brittney hooked up with Marco. A new character, Lavonda, a sensual black girl stacked like a porn star, was introduced late in the episode and she put the moves on Melissa, then later, on Shawn. The episode ended with an emotional monologue from Melissa that was so obtuse she never actually got around to making a point, which might have been intended as a cliff hanger, but that would have been giving the writers too much credit.

"It's going to get tough," I said seriously as the credits rolled.

Katherine leaned into me and sighed, "I know."

"When Marco finds out about Shawn and Blaise, he's going to kick his ass," I nodded sagely, gesturing at the screen. Katherine giggled and hit me.

"Idiot," she said and laced her fingers in mine. I stroked a strand of hair away from her face.

"Listen," I said to reassure myself as much as her, "as long as I've got you with me, I know we can make it work."

"I know, and I trust you," she said, and I believed her. Katherine was smart and strong, and having her in my life challenged me to be strong too. I hardly knew Becca, but she seemed like the kind of person who'd do her best to help once she understood the situation. If she could understand it. I dreaded having to explain it all again.

Katherine sat up suddenly, "Hey, can I borrow your phone?"

"What's wrong with yours?"

She glanced toward the bedroom. "I, uh... let the battery die," she said in a subdued voice, and I expected it had more to do with avoiding Becca asleep on my bed than any technical issue. I pulled mine out of my pocket and passed it to her. She tapped in my password and after fiddling with it for a minute or two, she passed it back.

"What was that for?" I asked, tucking it away.

"Just checking with Rachel. You still have to take care of her tonight."

I swore under my breath. I'd almost forgotten that Rachel would need a dose before she fell asleep or she'd wake up sick, her suspicions intact and fully confirmed. I had to get Willy back too, so with Katherine's help I wrestled the trunk out of the Jeep, up the stairs, and far enough into the living room that it wasn't in the way. She had to usher me back to the door with a promise that she would handle Becca while I was gone, and even pinky-swore that she'd be nice if the girl woke up.

I had a foot on the stair when she opened the door and called after me. "Hey, since you're going anyway, can you grab a few more things for me?" She listed a few specific pieces of clothing, a makeup kit, and a basket full of vanity items. I saw the errand as a small act of attrition against my mounting guilt and promised to try.

Rachel wasn't as bad as I feared, but far enough along that I was glad I hadn't waited longer

Rachel wasn't as bad as I feared, but far enough along that I was glad I hadn't waited longer. I returned her keys with a thank you and stayed a few minutes until the lights around her brightened. Once she was smiling and chatty, I made an excuse and rose to leave, then an idea struck that seemed, in the moment, like a flash of brilliance. I invited her to the apartment for breakfast, thinking I could dose her without having to come up with a stupid reason for showing up at her door. She said yes before I realized Becca would be difficult to explain.