t h i r t y - t h r e e

Start from the beginning

"Mhm, one more from me and your aunt, okay?" She didn't seem to care as she tried to get the packaging of the chocolate bar open. "But, later, we'll go out today, okay? To the store? And you can get anything you want."

"Store?" she asked. You smiled as you greeted e/w with a smile, who seemed to be washing pans from lunch.

"Mhm." Gray sat down at the kitchen table.

"That's perfect," Ethan said, reaching into the cabinet to put the chocolate away from Elle's reach while she watched from her uncle's lap. "You can take her out while we decorate for the party." You nodded.

"Yeah, okay."

"And then when you return it'll be a surprise," e/w agreed. You nodded. "You can head out now, if that's good?" You looked over at Gray and he shrugged.

"Sure, I've cleared out my schedule for my pumpkin today." You smiled as you stood again.

"Daddy?" Elle asked. E kissed her on the head. "Daddy come store?"

"Nah, daddy's gonna stay home, okay?" She frowned, reaching to him. "You go with your aunt and uncle."

"Daddy--"

"C'mon birthday girl," Grayson said with a smile. "Ready to go shopping?" He put her down and E/W kneeled to wipe at her mouth. She'd just eaten lunch and had already stained her dress with some sauce.

"Mama come?" E/W shook her head, turning to the sink.

"Just a few hours, okay?" Elle reached for you and you lifted her up. "Make sure she has a nap on the way back or something? So she won't be tired?" E/W asked. You nodded.

"Mom's coming later today--"

"Is she staying with us?" Gray asked, cutting Ethan off. E shrugged, wiping a plate.

"I don't know, we'll see." Gray nodded and you smiled, heading towards the front door again, not having expected to leave so soon.

"Okay, we'll be back soon?" you asked. Ethan headed up to open the door for you. He kissed Elle on the head in your arms.

"See ya, birthday girl." She giggled and squeezed his finger before you carried her. Gray and E did their handshake and you began to head down the street with Elle in your arms.

"Bir-day?" Elle asked you. You nodded.

"It's your birthday, yeah," you said with a smile. "You're a big girl now-- two years old!" She clapped and you rested her on your other hip as Gray jogged up into place.

"Y/NN bir-day?" she asked. You smiled.

"Mine's in a few weeks, Elle," you told her. "We're almost there, hm?"

"Uncle Gray?" He smiled.

"Same as your daddy's, pumpkin, you know that." She looked up at him as you put her down. She took Gray's hand as you crossed the street.

"Daddy?"

"Mhm."

You headed to the passenger seat of Gray's car as Gray strapped Elle into her spare car seat. "Phone?" she asked him. He chuckled, dropping his phone into her lap.

"Only 'cause it's your birthday." She giggled as Gray jogged over to the driver's seat as you texted a few of your friends back.

"Bir-day!" she squealed. You smiled back at her as he fumbled with his keys for a moment.

"Where are we going?" Gray asked you. You were still upset with each other and you hoped that Elle wouldn't pick up on it.

"I don't know a toy store or something?" you asked as he pulled out of the driveway. He frowned.