Gunita: One Shot Series, Wednesday

The characters of this particular one shot series are part of my finished social media serye on twitter: Gunita. If you haven't read it yet, give it a read before you proceed for better understanding of the one shot entry. Or if you don't want to, you can skip these chapters and wait for my other one shot entries. Or if you just want to give it a read even if you haven't read the serye, give it a go. And if you have read the serye—Amihan and Alon are happy to have shared their reunion with you, but now it's time to have a glimpse of how they ended.

Context

Amihan and Alon are two young lovers seemingly to have hit the end of their journey together. Amihan isn't sure who she is outside of the world they have built together and she owes it to herself to find out who she is without Alon beside her. But Alon is begging for another week. A last week before they eventually release each other... forever.

Last Week

Wednesday

Alon woke up and immediately turned to his side to pull Amihan closer, but was surprised as his arms landed on empty sheets. Napamulagat siya at agad na sinuyod ng mata ang kabuuan ng kwarto para hanapin ang dalaga. He sat upright when he found she wasn't in their room.

Halos madapa si Alon nang tumayo at lumabas agad ng kwarto—his heart was jumping out of his chest thinking that Amihan could've left and not told him. He still had today and four more days. He has five days more.

Alon can feel a lump rise in his throat, his eyes watering at the just the thought that after last night, Amihan didn't even say goodbye.

But she swore, Alon. Have a little faith, he thought pero agad na napalitan ng mapait na alaalang nangako din si Amihan na kahit kailan ay hindi siya iiwan ngunit nagawa na ito ng dalaga isang linggo na ang nakakalipas. She broke up with you.

Habang hindi mapakali ay nahimigan niya bigla ang mahinang pagkanta ng isang babae na nanggagaling sa kusina. It was more of humming than it was singing and Alon knew that hum wherever he went. That's his Amihan, at least she used to be.

Dahan dahan siyang naglakad papunta sa kusina and Amihan had her back on him—still wearing his shirt from last night, her hair loose and messy, she was cooking them breakfast. His heart was finally calming down.

Alon leaned on the door frame and just took a minute to savour the image in front of him. He might never get the chance again. Since he was fifteen, this was the image he wanted every morning, everyday, for the rest of his life.

He wanted Amihan in her most genuine moments where she's comfortable and unguarded—beauty and grace slipping from her because it was just that effortless. He wanted to provide that space for her forever, but maybe forever just wasn't as long as he thought. Maybe he failed to give it to her. Maybe she deserves to find it someplace else.

But for now, Alon will be selfish and keep Amihan for a few more days before she goes out to the world and find that for her. Alon clucthed his chest—how can he forget the life he imagined with this woman if it's the only dream he ever had worth having?

Amihan tried to reach for a jar at a higher shelf, she stood on her tiptoes. Alon bit his lip trying to stop the smile spreading on his face. This woman drives him mad. Mabilis siyang lumakad papunta sa dalaga at siya na ang kumuha nung jar.