Chapter X

The day of the festival.

Kaguya could not have been more nervous.

After she had come back from her abroad trip, Miyuki's behavior towards her did not change. In fact, everyone around her acted as if she was never gone in the first place. Well, except for Fujiwara. She was grateful to the secretary for welcoming her more than warmly.

Trust Fujiwara Chika to break the ice, Kaguya thought.

Certainly, she felt a bit hurt by the normality of everyday life. However, relief was there as well. How would she react if they threw a welcome back surprise party for her? More importantly, how would she react if President went ahead and confessed to her from the moment she stepped into the student council room?

I would feel bad for him. I would feel like I cheated my way out of this.

Perhaps that was why Miyuki didn't say anything. He wanted to battle fair and square.

Bring it on, President. She thought as she got out of her chauffeur's car into the grounds of Shuuchiin Academy, on that fateful morning.

****************

"Good morning, President", Kaguya said as she saw Shirogane Miyuki sitting on his desk, hunched over a mountain of papers.

"Morning, Shinomiya", he muttered, his focus barely wavering upon her arrival.

She looked around. Ishigami and Fujiwara didn't arrive yet.

It was her chance.

She rested her bag on a shelf in the big wooden closet next to Miyuki's desk, got the cups out, and proceeded with brewing tea.

"Would you like some, President?", she slowly asked.

"Um-hmm", he said, frantically scribbling on the papers.

She poured the amber liquid in a small cup decorated with bright red and faint blue roses, then paused it next to the pile of papers on the President's desk.

That's when he looked up at her. His eyes widened as if realizing for the first time that she was there. "Shinomiya, did I greet you? I don't know anymore...", He seemed genuinely concerned.

This made her laugh.

"Yes, President, you did"

Relief flooded his insides, for he relaxed and declared: "I'm so sorry I'm really busy, I have to give approval for the latest changes in the festival's program."

Kaguya frowned. What was he talking about? Didn't they go over those the day before? Didn't she see everything was under control?

Was Shirogane hiding something?

"What do you mean?", she struggled to keep her voice even.

Miyuki could have told her everything. He could have asked her for advice, he could have given her some of the papers to lessen his burden.

But he didn't.

"Don't worry about it, Shinomiya", he assured her. He waited to see some sort of reaction. Kaguya did not want to show her disappointment, but Miyuki was an expert in deciphering her facial features.

"It's all for your sake", he whispered, so low Kaguya could not have heard him.

But she did.

And despite the confirmation, she did not forget the reason she wanted to be alone with him today, of all days.

"Is it related to what you want to tell me?", she whispered back, afraid of being surprised by Fujiwara or Ishigami.

This time, Miyuki did not answer.