Chapter V

"But... Otou-sama, why now, of all times?" , Kaguya asked her father that night. She couldn't believe her own ears. Right when she decided on an epic plan to make President confess to her, her father announced they would be going on a business trip abroad. All of them.

"This deal is very important to me, and the company's CEO wants to learn more about me, not just as a fellow businessman, but also as a father to a family" , her father told her, his tone implying that he wouldn't hear any objections on her part.

All three of them were sitting in the vast living room, one of many in the Shinomiya mansion. The lights were on, but Kaguya felt like they weren't enough. Darkness threatened to take over her thoughts, rendering her incapable of opposing her father's decision.

"I--I will have to miss school", she muttered.

As expected of her father's sharp ears, he heard her. "It will only be a few days, and I paid a tutor specifically to teach you during that time. So you won't miss anything."

The vice-president of the student council sighed. It looked like he had thought of everything in advance. She was about to excuse herself when Hayasaka, standing next to her, nudged her elbow. Kaguya turned to her maid, and what surprised her the most wasn't the small smile drawn on her lips, not even her crossed fingers. It was Hayasaka's eyes that spoke the unsaid words.

It's okay, I've got a plan.

Feigning ignorance, Kaguya nodded at her father. "Very well, Otou-sama. Excuse me, for now, I shall pack my belongings."

*****

"Hayasaka, you're a genius!"

"Anything for Kaguya-sama" , the maid said calmly. She looked so cool in her outfit, standing there like the world's most courageous of beings, like there was nothing that could beat her. Kaguya loved Hayasaka, she was the only person she could tell her deepest desires without feeling the slight embarrassment. Well... just a little. What would her life have been without her maid? She wondered about all those girls in Shuuchiin Academy. Did they have such a competent best friend like Hayasaka? Kaguya doubted that.

Basically, her father's decision has been a blessing in disguise. When she left for a few days without telling anyone, she would be raising suspicions, but most of all, President would go out of his mind to find out where she went, and whether or not she would come back, one day. Hayasaka suggested that she text him for one last time, without going into details.

"By the time you go back to school, he will realize how much you mean to him, and you will win this war", Hayasaka assured her.

They would text, but not much. She will tell him that she does not know for how long this trip would be. However, all was okay, the important part is that they will not see each other for a few days.

Everything was set in motion.