Chapter III

Shirogane Miyuki, a second year in Shuuchiin Academy, the President of the student council, the best grading student in the school.Everyone thought him to be perfect. However, to himself, Miyuki was no more than a boy with a confused heart.

In the late afternoon of a busy day, he sat alone in the student council room, chewing on the previous day's adventure. No matter how he looked at it, Kaguya did like him, otherwise, why would she go through all that trouble to say such words? Why would she talk to him about a mundane manga when they were alone?

He felt as though yesterday's events could lead to completely unexplored territory, for both of them. What would have happened if he didn't provoke her in such a way? Would she confess to him out of her own will?

No. Miyuki already knew the answer to his question. No, she wouldn't. Shinomiya was too proud to do that. She would probably shoot him something like Why were you blushing so hard president? Could it be that you like me? How cute.

In a sudden fit of frustration, he rustled his hair so violently some strings fell. If he doesn't decide on a new plan, he will never get another chance to make Shinomiya confess her love first.

He picked up the fan she gave him for his birthday, breathing some fresh wind on his flushed face. Outside, gray-painted clouds approached from the far horizon, signaling the upcoming storm. He remembered the day Shinomiya walked home for the first time ever. It was on a rainy day like this. Even then, he didn't win the war raging between them. He was sure that at some point, she, too, was taken aback by her utter defeat.

Wait, Miyuki thought. The realization hit him like a bullet in the head. One of us, every time, wins a small battle, we both keep advancing slowly, but will a day come when one of us wins? Will it be me, or her? If so, will the winner's identity determine the outcome of their future relationship?

Miyuki tried to imagine what it felt like to have Shinomiya as his girlfriend. Given their history, neither of them will give up on their utmost prideful personalities. Each passing day, they will compete as to whom will ask the other for a date first. In normal circumstances, Miyuki was the boy, so naturally, he will have to ask her.

But not in this case. Never in this case.

He sighed, rested the fan on his desk once again, crossed his arm and laid his head on top. He looked like he fell asleep studying.

All this was such a pain in the ass to deal with, in the first place. A part of him wanted to lead a normal high school life, but was his life really that normal?

Before long, his coherent thoughts turned into irrelevant ones, and that's when he knew he was starting to dream.

Where am I? He wonders.

He is standing in a familiar street. By the looks of it, it is around morning. The street is empty,save for an old man riding his bike and heading out of his home. The old man carried a small bento box. Where was he taking it? Miyuki couldn't shake the thought of the man away. He reminded him of someone, yet , he couldn't recall a thing. What is wrong with his memory? Miyuki frowns. He wrecks his brain trying to remember where this place is, asking the questions which answers he needs to know. Nothing but a soundless darkness responded back.

Miyuki guesses it is probably a sunday. Otherwise, how could he explain the total absence of people heading to work in this hour?

He glances back at the old man's house. It looks about the latter's age. A small garden guarded the front door, the flowers gone long ago, their frail silent lives disregarded. If Fujiwara was here, she would be really mad. Miyuki reads the address on the fence surrounding it.

Property of The Shirogane Family

That's when it all clicks together.

The student council president couldn't believe his own eyes. He rubs his eyelids once, then twice, and looks at the words engraved in the sign. Sure enough, they didn't change.

This was his old house, and the old man he saw was none other than...

Me, he thought, terror tugging at his heartstrings.