CHAPTER 29

I opened my eyes and the first thing I saw was Gray's handsome face.
He was sitting by my bedside, holding my hand in his as he stared at the blank wall in thought.

"Smile, Mr Matthews."

He snapped his head around and looked at me."Layne,You're awake."
He stood up from his chair and kissed me gently, relieved that I was finally conscious.
"I was so worried about you."

I smiled."I'm fine, I pulled through."

Gray sat down in the chair beside my bed, still holding my hand and kissing it in affection.
I could only imagine how he's been feeling with everything that's gone on.

I moved my hands down and rubbed my tummy, the bump that was never there. I worried if I still had his baby inside of me.
Christopher had kicked me hard enough."The baby?"I asked,but I was terrified of the answer.

"The baby is okay..She's fine."

I released a sigh of relief, before looking at him and smiling."She?"

Gray shrugged his shoulders."Just a feeling I have.
You've been on conscious since I found you in the woods yesterday, your parents will want to see you I should give them a call."

"Not yet,I just want to be alone with you for awhile before my Mom starts fussing over me."
I'm sure they're worried,with every right to be. But I want to be with him, just the two of us.

"Okay."Gray extended his hand and moved my dark hair back from my face."Do you want to talk about it?"

I could feel my eyes welling with tears just thinking about it."Markus wasn't who I thought he was, he was someone else.."

"Christopher Somers from high school, I remember him.
The police found out that he was using a fake identity and that's how we found you. The house out in the woods,that's where he grew up."

"He was angry about what happened in high school,when I allowed my brother and his friends to beat him up. I should have did something back then,I shouldn't have let that happen."
That'll be the regret that I'll have to carry around for the rest of my life.
Would things be different now if I had of done something that night?

"It's not your fault you know that.
I've seen inside that house,Layne. The pictures and the underwear.
He wanted you..He had an obsession and this would have happened either way."

I looked up at the ceiling."He made my life a living hell for months and I killed him.
This is finally over."

"It is over.He's gone!! He caused a lot of pain and in the end got what he deserved.
I don't want you to feel bad about this, we need to move forward."

Obviously I feel bad taking a man's life, knowing that that man was one of the closest person in my life.
But every moment that we shared was a lie, he wasn't a friend at all.

I sat up in bed a little more,my leg was all bandaged up."I don't want to go back home,Gray.
I don't want to be in that apartment again."

"I understand that. We can stay at mine for now but we should look into getting a house..For our family."

I grinned."That would be nice, maybe close to my parents so they can be there to help out.
I want our girl to have her grandparents around her."

"Yeah, That sounds good."

Talking about Grandparents made me think of the row I overheard him having with his Dad. I wondered what it was about.

I was fidgeting, feeling nervous about asking the question. I was afraid of the answer."So that thing at the funeral with your Dad..What was that about?"