Chapter three: an unlikely friendship

The legiana had begun to question himself if his decision to steal Velkhanas meal was a very rational one. As he stared up at the elder dragon That pinned him down, he began to plead for his life. "P-please, h-have mercy, I- I don't want to die!" He whimpered, fear consuming his voice. "If you didn't want to die, you wouldn't have been so foolish to disrespect me in such a manner", Velkhana said. Velkhana had wasted a good amount of her stamina trying to catch this cowardly legiana. As she glared at the struggling legiana, she began to feel something that she had never felt before. Power. A grin spread across her face as she began to formulate a plan. "But, perhaps I could spare you if you do one simple thing for me", Velkhana said. "W-wh-What would that be?" The legiana stammered, just wanting to be spared from his attackers wrath. "Who is the most powerful creature here?" Velkhana said. "H-hawthorn, a-a Barioth", the legiana said, fear drenching his voice. "Oh, where is he?" Velkhana said, tilting her head to look around for the barioth. "N-north, by the big mountain" the legiana said, pointing his wing in the direction of a large mountain. "Well thank you, now as promised, you may leave" Velkhana said, releasing him. However, the legiana only got two feet away from Velkhana before he was frozen by Velkhanas ice breath. Velkhana shook the snow of her body and spread her wings. She lifted herself into the sky, and began to fly towards the mountain. Once Velkhana landed on the mountain, she found a large cave entrance, and saw a large barioth within the cave, feasting upon a deceased bambaro. Velkhana stepped into the cave, and spoke. "Are you hawthorn?" Velkhana asked. The barioth turned around and snarled. "What's it to you?" He growled, slowly advancing upon Velkhana. "I believed you would be bigger, quite disappointing that others think your the most powerful monster here." Velkhana said an a snarky tone. Hawthorns eyes glared with rage. "Who t'h hell do you think you are, coming into my home and insulting me, you pompous, arrogant, worthless mongrel!" Hawthorn roared. Velkhana flinched at the insult, remembering her life in the elders recess, and the elder dragons who would harass her. This sent her into a rage. "What did you just call me?" Velkhana said, rage boiling over her. Velkhana began to feel cold, both outside and inside her body. "I said your a pompous, arrogant, worthless monger-." Hawthorn never got to finish before he saw Velkhana effortlessly summon ice that coated her from head to tail, almost as if it were armor. He then found himself reeling backwards in pain after feeling Velkhanas ice breath slam into the left side of his face, blinding his left eye. Hawthorn jerked forward, enraged with the loss of one of his eyes. "Now you've done it, IM GONNA TEAR YOU LIMB FROM LIMB!" Hawthorn bellowed. Velkhana barely had any time to react before she was tackled by hawthorn, resulting in both of them falling off the mountain. The two monsters landed on the frozen over ground, and righted themselves for battle. Hawthorn struck first, lashing out and opening a large scratch on Velkhanas shoulder. Velkhana whirled around and smacked the side of hawthorns head with their tail In retaliation. Hawthorn stumbled, shaking his head to regain his vision. As he steadied himself, he roared and lept at Velkhana, using his weight to smash into her and throw her off balance. As Velkhana struggled to get up, hawthorn took flight, and prepared to summon one of his infamous ice tornadoes. Velkhana however, was much quicker. She immediately took to the sky, and used her claws to tear open a wound on his chest. Hawthorn fell from the sky and crashed to the ground, causing it to crack. Velkhana soon landed, gracefully prancing over to hawthorn and rolling him onto his back. She pressed her claws against his throat, preparing to tear open his neck. This however, was thwarted by hawthorn using his hind legs to kick Velkhana off of him. As the two righted themselves, hawthorn suddenly spoke. "Wait, wait.... you.... you win...I.....I can't....keep fighting like this." Hawthorn panted. "A...agreed" Velkhana said in reply, tired out from their battle. "Listen, why....why don't we just....settle down.... n' just settle this.....peacefully" hawthorn said, gasping for breath. "A...agreed" Velkhana replied. "Wh....what's yer name......anyways?" Hawthorn asked. "Velkhana, a....apologies for insulting you earlier" Velkhana said. "Don't worry about it" hawthorn replied. As the two turned to head back to their mountain, Velkhana began to reconsider hawthorn being her enemy, and now considered him a friend, despite how they met in the first place.

Nergigante led val to the entrance of the cave nergigante had gone down. Val instantly began to shiver, not being used to the frigid temperatures of the hoarfrost reach. "Are you sure Velkhana lives here? It's unfathomably cold up here!" Val said, shuttering in the process. "Yes, I am sure of it. You going to need to get used to the environment if your going to help" Nergigante said sternly. "Easy for you to say, you don't even control an element, and your better off than I am!" Val said in mild annoyance. "That does not matter now, what matters is that we stop her before she destroys the ecosystem both here and everywhere else." Nergigante said. "Why do you care if she destroys the ecosystem so much?" Val said, confused as to why he said that. Nergigante exhaled. "When I first arrived in the hoarfrost reach, during my hunt for Velkhana, I witnessed a mountain seemingly explode. The strange thing about it, is that I heard......singing".