Ripples

A story for Challenge 8 of the SciFriday Contest. To be exactly 200 words with one character a teenager and the other an alien.

                                                      ~o~

Another black pebble arced through the air, making a satisfying plop as it hit the lake. The ripples slowly rolled out across the mirror calm surface; the viscous liquid ponderous in the heavy gravity. Rattling a fistful of the stones the young man turned, smiling at the small furry creature sitting by his side.

"What was it like here when you were young, Jartlana; before we came?" he asked his friend.

"Hmmmm," Jartlana contemplated. "Different."

"Good different or bad different?" the young human asked.

"Just different, David. It was certainly quieter, but I like noise; it was less busy, but I enjoy having lots of friends, and life was less confusing, but I love a good puzzle. It's just different," he said, scratching a long antenna.

"So, are you glad we settled here, on your planet?" David continued.

"Hmmmm," again Jartlana paused. "Yes, yes I am."

"Good, so am I," he threw another pebble.

Jartlana tugged the youth's sleeve. "You do know you're all going to die though, don't you?"

There was a calmness in his voice that a statement of such magnitude shouldn't have had.

"Why would you say that, Jartlana?" horror in the boy's eyes.

"Because, my people are getting hungry and the livestock are now ready for slaughter."