Chapter Five - A Strange Meeting

"You're an elf!" Keren spoke, without thinking.

She was far more excited than she was fearful, for she had waited as long as she could remember to catch sight of one.

"I am," the elf said, "and I am sorry if I startled you."

She mutely shook her head, taking in his appearance. He was very tall, slender, and fair. It was hard to tell in the moonlight if his hair was golden or silver, but either way it shone brightly, flowing long and straight over his shoulders, though it was pulled back from his face, which was, she was pleased to notice, very fair to look upon, as the tales had said all elves were. In the dim light she thought she saw two thin braids either side of his forehead, which revealed – she gave a sharp intake of breath – finely pointed ears. So that was true as well. She thought he was dressed in different shades of green, but it could have been grey. She could not see the colour of his eyes.

"What are you doing..." She stopped, thinking she sounded rude, and tried again. "What brings you to the Houses of Healing?"

He smiled at her awkwardness.

"I am a companion of Aragorn, son of Arathorn, and Gimli, son of Glóin," he said. "I fought alongside them in the Pelennor fields."

"Oh, you've been wounded? Have you - "

"Nay," he stopped her gently. "I have been visiting a friend, one of the hobbits who is in the healers' care. His name is Merry."

She nodded.

"I know of whom you speak," she said with a small smile. "I have not the task of tending him, so I have not yet made his acquaintance. My work lies with the White Lady of Rohan, she who slew the Witch-king, and the Lord Faramir, the new steward of Gondor."

Legolas knew better than to comment on the smile that grew on her lips, the way her tired eyes shone a little brighter, and thought he now better understood why she had been crying. He could tell by her voice and her eyes, as all elves could, that she was not married, but her large eyes were now filled with a strange emotion, one of hope yet sadness. Legolas did not fully understand love, but thought that was what was causing her pain and frustration.

He had not yet, to his knowledge, been introduced to someone who could provoke such emotion in him, though most of his kin met their bond-mate, if they had one, shortly after reaching maturity. He was not overly concerned about discovering if he had one or not, even after thousands of years, and therefore had gathered a reputation of being a little strange, something which, again, did not concern him.

But he had witnessed many great partnerships. Aragorn and the Evenstar were one such pairing, albeit an unusual one – a relationship that would ultimately end in tragedy, and yet Legolas could see the pure joy emanating from his friend when he spoke or thought of the daughter of Elrond. They had pledged themselves to each other, and he knew Arwen would find no other love after Aragorn's death, but would either die of grief, or dwindle into silence until she faded away to nothing. Strange was their fate - having such brief happiness that was yet enough for Arwen to give up her immortality.

Being half-elven she could make such a choice. Legolas would have no similar option, not that he could ever see himself bound to anyone, human or not, for there had been no mention in Galadriel's prophecy that another would sail with him.

His father was convinced that he could not be happy the way things were, but whether he was right or wrong, all he could do was wait for Legolas to stumble upon the love of his life.

You may be waiting for all eternity, Ada, he thought.

Keren noticed the elf had grown oddly silent and thoughtful, so she changed the subject.